What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austinite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing some LED reverse lights in the Z71 rack yesterday. I was used to having the LED cube lights in my old rear bumper, but when I installed the Avalanche bumper I decided not to cut it up just yet. I went with these cheap ones from Amazon because I didn't really like the look of any other ones I found that would fit the 3" opening. I had originally bought some super bright round LED spot lights that would've been perfect if they weren't just a little too big. The ones I installed aren't as bright as I would like, especially after I hit them with a few coats of Night Shades Tint, but they'll do for now. I used some plastic epoxy to mount them and ran the wires under the Esky Appliques to the taillights. I wired them up to come on when the truck is in reverse or when I hit the a-hole switch on the pillar. The a-hole switch is pretty cool too because not only do all the reverse lights, including the two mirror and taillight, but the reverse cam comes on too.

_Z71_Roof_Rack_LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-Full.jpg
ack_LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-closeup-drivers.jpg _LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-closeup-passengers.jpg ck_LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-Full-on-daylight.jpg of_Rack_LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-Full-On-Day.jpg hoe_Z71_Roof_Rack_LED_Reverse_Lights_A-Hole_Switch.jpg

brian.roberts.1293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing some LED reverse lights in the Z71 rack yesterday. I was used to having the LED cube lights in my old rear bumper, but when I installed the Avalanche bumper I decided not to cut it up just yet. I went with these cheap ones from Amazon because I didn't really like the look of any other ones I found that would fit the 3" opening. I had originally bought some super bright round LED spot lights that would've been perfect if they weren't just a little too big. The ones I installed aren't as bright as I would like, especially after I hit them with a few coats of Night Shades Tint, but they'll do for now. I used some plastic epoxy to mount them and ran the wires under the Esky Appliques to the taillights. I wired them up to come on when the truck is in reverse or when I hit the a-hole switch on the pillar. The a-hole switch is pretty cool too because not only do all the reverse lights, including the two mirror and taillight, but the reverse cam comes on too.

ack_LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-closeup-drivers.jpg _LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-closeup-passengers.jpg ck_LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-Full-on-daylight.jpg of_Rack_LED_Reverse_Lights_Blacked_Out-Full-On-Day.jpg hoe_Z71_Roof_Rack_LED_Reverse_Lights_A-Hole_Switch.jpg
What ended up being the measurements for the holes? I've been wanting to do this myself and have been trying to find the right set of lights for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Austinite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ended up being the measurements for the holes? I've been wanting to do this myself and have been trying to find the right set of lights for it.

It's exactly 3". But then there's a mount for the lights GM was originally going to put in there from the factory (and wussed out) that you have to account for. I had to cut mine off with a Dremel for the lights to fit.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Any special wiring you used to wire them both up to reverse and a switch? I’ve been pondering flush cubes in my rear bumper and wanted them to function like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austinite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any special wiring you used to wire them both up to reverse and a switch? I’ve been pondering flush cubes in my rear bumper and wanted them to function like yours.

Nothing too fancy. The switches that I bought for the pillar mounted switch housing came with relayed harnesses. So I just took the powered wire from the "A-Hole" switch relay and tapped into the lime green reverse wire that is behind the driver's kick panel. That make sense?

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing too fancy. The switches that I bought for the pillar mounted switch housing came with relayed harnesses. So I just took the powered wire from the "A-Hole" switch relay and tapped into the lime green reverse wire that is behind the driver's kick panel. That make sense?
Makes sense to me. I was planning on doing something similar if I ever got around to it. If I remember correctly I thought I read somewhere on here that method wouldn’t work in theory but was never tested to see if it did. Glad it worked out for you!

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my local advanced auto. I got a new radiator, upper and lower hoses and fluid for about 250 they discounted about $65 off.

Thank goodness they kept having phone problems and the store called 911 frequently and I responded almost every time. Plus my truck throws codes like its its job so I'm always there using the scan tool

And they had everything in stock!

Austinite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. I was planning on doing something similar if I ever got around to it. If I remember correctly I thought I read somewhere on here that method wouldn’t work in theory but was never tested to see if it did. Glad it worked out for you!

Yeah I think I might've read that too and thought it sounded like BS, so I gave it a go. Worked like a charm.

brian.roberts.1293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So anyone got any great led 9005 bulbs they can suggest. I've got new projector housings and the low is a h1 bulb and high beam is a 9005 so I need to upgrade the halogen bulb. With something that works and is bright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa1971

Latest posts