What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size lift are you running to clear 33s / 35s? I was told I needed a 4" lift on my truck; I want to do a 2" body lift, but the shop I consulted said he doesn't know anyone doing body lifts any more. The body lift, for me, is to clear an Allison.
I'm currently at 3" front and rear. 33s fit no problem with just the stock keys being cranked. 35s required some clearancing in front of the tire on the plastic inner fender, and the pinch seam to be hammered flat behind the tire under the plastic inner fender. I also run 1.5" wheel spacers on stock wheels. With 35s I will not guarantee zero contact, but I had very little contact except on one spot on the drivers side due to some damage caused by the previous owner flopping it on its side. Damage which I will correct/work around when I do the solid axle swap. It sure looked the part on 35s though. Metric size 315/75r16.

H2KBsVk.jpg

Attachments

• esKv8QD.jpg
    esKv8QD.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That was one of the methods I used after the high bond tape failed. They started falling off even after I bedded the strips in silicone after cleaning everything with alcohol. I think it’s the force of the hood slamming down over and over. The ones on the bottoms of my doors stayed on with silicone, they’re still on. They’re hooked to the interior lights so when I open a door they’re like puddle lights on steroids.

The heat of the engine and repeated heat cycling over time is also a big contributor. Under the hood I doubt even super glue or an epoxy would even be a permanent solution. Mechanical fastener is the only way I'd go.

Funny. I installed led strip lights under my hood too, but I couldn't figure out how to get the lights to turn off once the hood was closed, so I just left the strips stuck to the underside of the hood. That was probably 3-4 years ago and they're still stuck there solidly. No one opens and closes their hood more then me lol--always working on something under there that breaks.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally put the Texas plates on today, and a stubby antenna. I have the Esky antenna delete panel, but decided I didn’t want to mess with crappy reception, due to laying it flat, etc.. I had actually planned to rig a wire down the body, measuring 1/4 wave to make it the correct distance for optimal reception, but decided I didn’t want to go that route either. This thing works well, and I think it looks decent. Might even work better than the factory one.

In case anyone is interested:
AntennaMastsRus - The Original 6 3/4 Inch is Compatible with Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (1985-2005) - Car Wash Proof Short Rubber Antenna - Internal Copper Coil - Premium Reception - German Engineered https://a.co/3uh3Gw3

Attachments

• 473937BA-92C0-417E-B975-26E543DA0F49.jpeg
    473937BA-92C0-417E-B975-26E543DA0F49.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 8
  • A796F7CB-742B-4979-A9F5-D3ADC3E8490C.jpeg
    A796F7CB-742B-4979-A9F5-D3ADC3E8490C.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0C2F796B-58B5-495B-9737-245EF480DA8F.jpeg
    0C2F796B-58B5-495B-9737-245EF480DA8F.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 8
  • B8C640D1-C6DD-4260-B3FC-FB342EA1D902.jpeg
    B8C640D1-C6DD-4260-B3FC-FB342EA1D902.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 10

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally put the Texas plates on today, and a stubby antenna. I have the Esky antenna delete panel, but decided I didn’t want to mess with crappy reception, due to laying it flat, etc.. I had actually planned to rig a wire down the body, measuring 1/4 wave to make it the correct distance for optimal reception, but decided I didn’t want to go that route either. This thing works well, and I think it looks decent. Might even work better than the factory one.

In case anyone is interested:
AntennaMastsRus - The Original 6 3/4 Inch is Compatible with Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (1985-2005) - Car Wash Proof Short Rubber Antenna - Internal Copper Coil - Premium Reception - German Engineered https://a.co/3uh3Gw3
And yes, she needs a bath badly..!! :okay2:

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny. I installed led strip lights under my hood too, but I couldn't figure out how to get the lights to turn off once the hood was closed, so I just left the strips stuck to the underside of the hood. That was probably 3-4 years ago and they're still stuck there solidly. No one opens and closes their hood more then me lol--always working on something under there that breaks.
That's wild. What kind of backing did it have? Was it a good quality, like the 3m tape used to apply body moulding?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That's wild. What kind of backing did it have? Was it a good quality, like the 3m tape used to apply body moulding?
Yup, that double sided tape. Not sure what brand it was, I bought it at a swap meet years ago. Wasn't a brand I'd ever heard of before.20200610_153539.jpg
You can see the strips running along side the inner edge of the headliner--both sides.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good quality foam double sided tape is another beast. Most LED strips have a thin layer of factory adhesive. That's an interesting option I didn't think of. You've got the benefit of the adhesive of the foam tape being similar to the adhesive that comes on the LED strip so they should bond better than a glue or epoxy would.

Great option, thanks.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s my supercharger sucking the strips off the hood idk…:gathering:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good quality foam double sided tape is another beast. Most LED strips have a thin layer of factory adhesive. That's an interesting option I didn't think of. You've got the benefit of the adhesive of the foam tape being similar to the adhesive that comes on the LED strip so they should bond better than a glue or epoxy would.

Great option, thanks.

Another idea, if you are mounting on one of the locations where you can drill a hole...

If the lights aren't too heavy, you might be able to use a body panel fastener clips if you find something the right size.

Probably easier and more secure with screws or screws into threaded riv-nuts.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another idea, if you are mounting on one of the locations where you can drill a hole...

If the lights aren't too heavy, you might be able to use a body panel fastener clips if you find something the right size.

Probably easier and more secure with screws or screws into threaded riv-nuts.
Or pop rivets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19