What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks everyone. My son is coming over to help (technically I'll probably be the helper...) so I'm thinking it will be good. Last time it ran the low fuel light was on so I know there's not more than 4 or 5 gallons in it. I may even run it for a few minutes if it'll start. Still, on jack stands in the garage, it ought to be an interesting experience!
You can always siphon the rest into a gas can after disconnecting the filler tube. I removed 20 gallons that way. I did mine in the driveway.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hey, thanks everyone. My son is coming over to help (technically I'll probably be the helper...) so I'm thinking it will be good. Last time it ran the low fuel light was on so I know there's not more than 4 or 5 gallons in it. I may even run it for a few minutes if it'll start. Still, on jack stands in the garage, it ought to be an interesting experience!

You'll be good. Disconnecting the lines is the trickiest part. I bought assorted clip replacements and changed them.

20171124_201649.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great info, thanks. I hit one of the tank strap bolts with some PB Blaster today when I got home from work, couldn't reach the other one's threads, but the heads don't look too bad for rust. We'll see. One of the tank straps has what looks like a little duct tape between it and the tank, so I'm wondering if the strap or the tank has already been out. Only 105K on the clock, though, and thankfully not a lot of rust showing, at least not heavy stuff. Most of its life has been in Wyoming and Colorado.

Looking forward to getting this thing running again so I can enjoy some snow!

EDIT: I checked just now and the Advance Auto near me has both those parts so if I need them they'll be close.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great info, thanks. I hit one of the tank strap bolts with some PB Blaster today when I got home from work, couldn't reach the other one's threads, but the heads don't look too bad for rust. We'll see. One of the tank straps has what looks like a little duct tape between it and the tank, so I'm wondering if the strap or the tank has already been out. Only 105K on the clock, though, and thankfully not a lot of rust showing, at least not heavy stuff. Most of its life has been in Wyoming and Colorado.

Looking forward to getting this thing running again so I can enjoy some snow!
Mine is an Oregon truck, no rust anywhere, no salt here and still one of those stripped. Better have replacements on hand in case.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got the bolts and fuel clips but am waiting for it to warm up a bit. Besides that, my non-resident mechanic isn't here yet with the other jackstands.

@HiHoeSilver when you dropped your tank on your NBS, where did you disco the fuel lines, only at the pump, or at the 90° connections above the front of the tank, too? Also, some of the manuals show a connection (more forward, nearer the fuel filter) on the frame to disco but I don't have those. It looks to me like there's enough flex at the 90° connectors to lower the back end of the tank and disconnect at the pump only, and pull the lines off of the clips along the tank. Thoughts?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Got the bolts and fuel clips but am waiting for it to warm up a bit. Besides that, my non-resident mechanic isn't here yet with the other jackstands.

@HiHoeSilver when you dropped your tank on your NBS, where did you disco the fuel lines, only at the pump, or at the 90° connections above the front of the tank, too? Also, some of the manuals show a connection (more forward, nearer the fuel filter) on the frame to disco but I don't have those. It looks to me like there's enough flex at the 90° connectors to lower the back end of the tank and disconnect at the pump only, and pull the lines off of the clips along the tank. Thoughts?

I disconnected everything and completely removed the tank. I know because mine is 06 theres at least one extra line than on the other NBS trucks. One of mine goes OVER the frame rail. Not sure if that's the 06 oddball one or not. Been a while, but I found this video to be very helpful in my case.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dropped the tank enough to disconnect the lines at the pump, then unsnap them from where they route along the tank. Mines an 02. Also had to solder on a new electrical connector since they changed, not sure if you need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65