What can I do with a 2003 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James417

Reaction score
Hello all I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe that was a fire chiefs vehicle and has 138k miles. Its in really good condition for it sitting for almost 2 years before I got it and then now 1 year and 4 months with me. Before I got the Tahoe it had lots of leaks from mount holes on roof and door seals worn out but I have taken care of all of that. I have done a full tune up new tires ( upgraded to 265\70\16) and new floor pan that rotted from leaks and full interior cleaning removing seats and floor padding and full cleaning. Complete tune up on engine and rear end and new oil seals as well as new brake lines and all new brakes and rotors in rear. So lots of work so far but sense this trucks just sitting waiting for the title I feel I should do some upgrades. Like I said engine and transmission have 138k miles and are not rebuilt from what I know. The power train and drivetrain are both perfectly fine aside from some lifter noise but I think that's from it sitting for several years without running. I kind of want to yank the engine out and rebuild it for performance lifters and large can and new headers and exhaust but I'm not sure how I should go about it. I was even thinking maybe try to get a blower and drop it on but without a built up transmission Im sure I'll wreck it. Unfortiontely it is 4WD and has a open differential so its not performance friendly from the get go. Any ideas? Maybe just a bigger cam and some nice hedders and exhaust for sound. BTW it has a stock 4 speed transmission and stock 5.3l vortex.

Last edited:

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long tube headers first. Best investment Ive made yet.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
Long tube headers first. Best investment Ive made yet.
That is a good suggestion. Im definitely gonna at least install some nice headers but I'm not sure of long tube headers because I don't want to have to modify anything. I would also love to install some high flow cats and a flowmaster super 40 or super 10 muffler. But I'm still deciding on what to do in terms of engine upgrades. IMO I think a nice moderate cam upgrade sounds incredible but I'm not sure if I want to tear the engine down to much as it has 139k miles and may need a lot of rebuilding for a cam upgrade.

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good cam needs to breathe. Youll want a full exhaust before a cam. Or else you wont get the full potential from the cam. You wont have to modify anything with long tubes. You can get a full exhaust KIT with headers and Y pipe with high flow cats or no cats. No modifications at all.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
A good cam needs to breathe. Youll want a full exhaust before a cam. Or else you wont get the full potential from the cam. You wont have to modify anything with long tubes. You can get a full exhaust KIT with headers and Y pipe with high flow cats or no cats. No modifications at all.

That's good to know. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I would Like to be able to pass NY state dang emmisions inspection so ill have to do high flow cats. I want to install some seriously agressive sounding mufflers but I'm hard pressed to decide if its a good idea with nys ridiculous exhaust laws. of course I could always throw the stock catback on as its in great shape but that completely defeats the purpose of performance upgrades. I'm definitely gonna get a good exhaust system on it either way though. To cam a 5.3l vortec with 139k miles what kind of mods/rebuilding to engine other than hardened race pushrods and good springs? It doesn't smoke or burn any fluids that I know of so I may be able to hold off on heads and valve guides and rings for now. It has the stock Trans 4WD so I don't know how much power I could push before I wreck the drive train. BTW Its got a single exit exhaust system right now could I stick with that or should I go y pipe? Just to make things simpler maybe just use single exit? And who do you recommend to exhaust brand?

Last edited:

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you just want the "sound" of a cam, its not worth it. A cam is only a stepping stone to more power. It opens up a world of possibilities. For a daily driver, dont mess the valve train. Just get you a good exhaust system and be done with it.

On the Y pipe exhaust, I dont know what you mean. I have a single exit after an off road Y pipe. They come stock with large enough diameter exhaust until you get crazy HP. I have a flowmaster 50 series muffler. Its loud enough but not annoying and mild when under partial throttle. Ive heard good things about Borla, Magnaflow, and Corsa. Corsa being the loudest and most aggressive but also probably the most $$.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
In my opinion, if you just want the "sound" of a cam, its not worth it. A cam is only a stepping stone to more power. It opens up a world of possibilities. For a daily driver, dont mess the valve train. Just get you a good exhaust system and be done with it.

On the Y pipe exhaust, I dont know what you mean. I have a single exit after an off road Y pipe. They come stock with large enough diameter exhaust until you get crazy HP. I have a flowmaster 50 series muffler. Its loud enough but not annoying and mild when under partial throttle. Ive heard good things about Borla, Magnaflow, and Corsa. Corsa being the loudest and most aggressive but also probably the most $$.

Yeah I see what you mean. I really want some long tube headers but I heard that (supposedly) you have to unbolt the engine mounts and wiggle the engine around to get the new headers and y pipe in. Is this true? Maybe my 4wd model it is. Thing is I just talked to they guy about the title for the truck he gave me a receipt showing that he actually got the ball rolling with DMV so the title should actually be here soon and me being an idiot I am thinking I wasn't getting it on the road removed the stock cat back and now need a aftermarket cat back to get it legal for inspection. I would love a kit for cat back but may have to have custom bent pipe as I want stainless steel due to NYS awful winters rotting everything. I'm thinking about dual exit to but idk yet as I said before I may need the piping custom bent depending on what muffler I want.

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headers are ok, but they are loud IMHO. I hear a lot more valve train noise inside the cabin that I didn't before. And even with the big body 22" Magnaflow, it was wake up the neighborhood when I started it loud. Had to add a second 7" round muffler. I also lost 1.5 mpg by adding them, even after the tuner spent a few hours tuning it. I had fitment problems with my LPP brand headers, they hit the driveshaft and steering shaft.

To be fair, I saw awesome top end gains adding headers with the blower (didnt have the cam at the time). But, I've contemplated going back to stock manifolds a dozen times due to the noise and the pain headers have been.

I would add corvette servos, cold air intake and then get a tune. You could do a muffler replacement with a Magnaflow (best brand in my experience). I'd throw a Truetrac or Eaton Limited slip in there too. No point in make more power if you're just going to do a one-wheel-peel.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
Headers are ok, but they are loud IMHO. I hear a lot more valve train noise inside the cabin that I didn't before. And even with the big body 22" Magnaflow, it was wake up the neighborhood when I started it loud. Had to add a second 7" round muffler. I also lost 1.5 mpg by adding them, even after the tuner spent a few hours tuning it. I had fitment problems with my LPP brand headers, they hit the driveshaft and steering shaft.

To be fair, I saw awesome top end gains adding headers with the blower (didnt have the cam at the time). But, I've contemplated going back to stock manifolds a dozen times due to the noise and the pain headers have been.

I would add corvette servos, cold air intake and then get a tune. You could do a muffler replacement with a Magnaflow (best brand in my experience). I'd throw a Truetrac or Eaton Limited slip in there too. No point in make more power if you're just going to do a one-wheel-peel.

Yeah I should definitely get a limited slip differential in there. I have a open diff right now because last winter if I would loose traction just one wheel would get all of the power. So you think i should just do a nice cat back exhaust and Bette servos with a CAI? Do you think I'll benefit from it much with factory manifold and y pipe? Also what do you think of shorty or short headers vs long tube?
Thanks for the diff idea. Im looking into those now as I definitely want power to both wheels.