What can I gain from a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently acquired a new to me ‘07 Infiniti QX56. I am amazed at the throttle response and power it has. It absolutely roars and hauls ass. It makes my Denali feel like a lumbering slug. Got me thinking that maybe I should do a tune for the Denali. What exactly should I expect from an ECM tune? I know Black Bear Performance is always mentioned here, but has anyone used anyone else and happy with the results? Or how was your experience with Black Bear… specifically those with the 6.0 engines?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...a blown up transmission!

I'm kidding. Ya, a lot of guys do tunes like on HP Tuners changing VE tables, torque management and that kind of stuff, mostly in combination with camshafts, springs, etc.

I've got HP Tuners, but I've never really messed with that kind of stuff. I just know how to read the files, do gear ratio change, VATS delete and that kind of basic things and write the tune.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a stock car or truck your not feeling anything ground breaking. the most your gonna feel is the trans tune part of the tune. its not like your unlocking 50-100 hp.

ive got a 600 whp camaro, driving my tahoe is truly like driving a slug, its apples and oranges. tahoe is stock and tuned too.

you'll need some mods to really wake the truck up.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.0 is stock aside from an intake and a magnaflow muffler swap. But I don’t regret my blackbear performance tune one bit. Trans is away better with tune. Torque management shut down. Throttle response is definitely better with tune.

That being said your Denali is several feet longer and easily several hundred pounds heavier at least. Of course it’s not going to feel that same as the shorter wheel base QX56.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
My 6.0 is stock aside from an intake and a magnaflow muffler swap. But I don’t regret my blackbear performance tune one bit. Trans is away better with tune. Torque management shut down. Throttle response is definitely better with tune.

That being said your Denali is several feet longer and easily several hundred pounds heavier at least. Of course it’s not going to feel that same as the shorter wheel base QX56.
The QX56 has 5 gears and the Denali has 4 gears, that one gear makes a big difference. The qx56 first gear is 3.83 and Denali is 3.059. The higher gear ratio gets the vehicle going faster.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Had a bone stock 2005 Z71 and then had a traditional tune done at BBP. Transmission woke up and so did engine. Still idles smooth as silk and can put around neighborhood as before. Now....when I want it....the seat of the pants feel is great. I did not need much to feel better about my rig and the traditional tune is a great starting point....IMO. Or you can get crazy with it and pick what you want and BBP can tell you what to expect.

thegrunter

Reaction score
You might be able to beat the 4 Cyl Hyundai Tucson off the line. That would be something to get the old heart pumping. Some slugs are meant to be slugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts