What can I do with a 2003 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
Np, GL.

Modding is fun as hell and very addicting.
Alot of my posts have been revised from the time you quoted them.

Before you know if, you will have installed enough of these parts to be able to tell someone how to do it in detail and all parts needed via memory. :jester:

Unfortunately unless I can find a y pipe with high flow cats for long tubes I may just do shorty so they fit the factory y pipes and do a cat back because I have to get this going before the snow falls here. How would shorties sound? At this point I'm looking for future proofing with performance mods and sound but not spending huge amounts of money on high flow cats. And unfortunately I don't have a welder right now. Sorry to be bothersome

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great tips from ezdaar above in post #14.

On efans, I installed the 2005+ OEM fans and noticed NO seat of the pants difference NOR change in fuel economy. But I did notice my ac cools down much faster than it did prior, so I'm happy since we have 100*+ summers. So take my experience for what it's worth, which is just one guy's experience.

For the exhaust, I just cut my tip off at a slight angle over the rear axle after the hanger. Used a sawzall, took 2 minutes and it was free. Did this for two reasons, 1. to get rid of the exhaust drone after I installed my headers, as drone is directly related to the length of pipe after the muffler, the shorter the length, the higher up in the RPM band the drone occurs, and 2. it looks stealth since there isn't a stock tip sticking out the side of my truck.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
wouldnt waste my time of shorties.
Just get the high flow Y pipe from magnaflow and do what ya want with the catback.

I keep finding nice long tubes I would love to install but with the catted intermediate pipe is killer expensive. :( I might have to just do a cat back and leave stock headers anyways. It sucks but I would rather put my money into making it look nice rather than have more power at this point. Sense the engine has 139k miles and was most likely abused by the previous fire dept owners I'm sure the engine would need a decent rebuild before crazy upgrades. Just personally like the look and sound of headers shorty or not.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

I keep finding nice long tubes I would love to install but with the catted intermediate pipe is killer expensive. :( I might have to just do a cat back and leave stock headers anyways. It sucks but I would rather put my money into making it look nice rather than have more power at this point. Sense the engine has 139k miles and was most likely abused by the previous fire dept owners I'm sure the engine would need a decent rebuild before crazy upgrades. Just personally like the look and sound of headers shorty or not.

One last thing. A big deciding factor at this point for me is my audio upgrades. Will long tube headers pose any problems with over heating being to close stuff while revving around 1500rpms sitting still? Because I have to rev the engine to turn the high output alternator while giving demos and stuff so maybe I'm best off with stock manifold anyways? Personally I usually drive very light foot to so I may never get the full potential off long tube. I just personally like the idea of it being done and having too looking headers that won't rot away anytime soon.

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your adament about the looks of shorties. Then by all means go for it bud. Its your ride, your money and i wont try to stop ya.
I would combine them with the high flow magnaflow y pipe tho.
139k is nada for a LS. Dont worry about it.
As long as your not burning oil or have compression loss, there is nothing wrong with that engine.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

If your adament about the looks of shorties. Then by all means go for it bud. Its your ride, your money and i wont try to stop ya.
As long as your not burning oil or have compression loss, there is nothing wrong with that engine.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

I just realized I would have to buy a tuner to for ecu with a high flow exhaust. I may just do cat back and leave everything else stock so I can start working on audio. If I could find a cheap high flow y pipe with cats then I would love to do it.

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which Magnaflow y-pipe is the correct one for hi flow?
93419, 51097 or 15477?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
I was guessing the 15477 y pipe because of says the cats increase power and torque and has better flow.
Idk though and at this point after really thinking about what to do I may just hold off on headers unless shorties will fit the factory y pipe?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was guessing the 15477 y pipe because of says the cats increase power and torque and has better flow.
Idk though and at this point after really thinking about what to do I may just hold off on headers unless shorties will fit the factory y pipe?
Shorties are not worth the money

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
24tahoeZ