What can I gain from a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
slypher25aussie

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that huge gear ratio difference between 1-2.

Lot's of guys hate that...rpm drop. It pulls the rpm down out of the engine powerband once it hits second. A higher stall torque converter helps some, but it's still a large drop in RPM.
Yes!! This is a perfect description. Never really thought about it that way. It really does drop WAY down and I feel like I just lost all that power.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes!! This is a perfect description. Never really thought about it that way. It really does drop WAY down and I feel like I just lost all that power.
My 99 Silverado NBS 2wd had a 4.3/4L60e...you can imagine how slow it was, LoL.

The engine eventually developed low oil pressure, an annoying crank-no-start in wet conditions and the transmission developed the all-too-common TCC valve wear (P1870 code.) I finally retired the truck from daily driving it when I bought my 06 Suburban 2500 LQ4 and it just sat for some time.

I considered selling the old Silverado but decided to swap the engine and transmission. I did a 5.3/4L80e. The 4L80e is a joy to drive. The gear ratios are so much closer together and it's so much smoother than the 4L60e family. Truck is just better to drive and more reliable, even though engine and transmission are bone stock. Not a fair comparison compared to the V6 engine, but I can say a very fair comparison for the transmissions. My old transmission always had this annoying rumble around 45-50 MPH, I don't know if they were all like that?

I really like the 4L80e! :) I really wouldn't ever go back to the 4L60e if I had the choice.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... maybe I should do a tune for the Denali. What exactly should I expect from an ECM tune?
I know Black Bear Performance is always mentioned here, but has anyone used anyone else and happy with the results?
Or how was your experience with Black Bear … specifically those with the 6.0L engines?
… forgot to mention, my rig is basically bone stock.
Not 'maybe' - DEFINITELY do a tune. That goes for the rest of you that haven't gotten tuned yet as well.

You should expect better and more consistent throttle response from both the powertrain (regardless of engine and/or transmission).
Basically, you'll wonder why GM was holding back so much.
I'm absolutely confident that my 4WD Z71 with L59 & GT4 will be slightly but consistently quicker against any other 4WD Z71 with L59 & GT4.
I used pcmperformance.com (see my sig), he's been tuning since 2005.
Also, the vehicle will run a lil bit cooler, and AC performance may improve.

A 5.3L is still a 5.3L, and a 4L60E is still a 4L60E. The difference was not quite night and day, more like
a dreary overcast oppressively humid day when no one wants to go outside, vs
a bright sunshiny day just warm enough for chicks to wear sundresses, but with enough comfortable breeze to fly kites.

Once you get tuned, you'll wish you'd done it sooner. That goes for the rest of you that haven't gotten tuned yet as well.

A mail order tune is like any good slice of plain pizza.
An in person realtime tune is like that but better because you got to choose your toppings, so it's similar to others, yet also yours.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently acquired a new to me ‘07 Infiniti QX56. I am amazed at the throttle response and power it has. It absolutely roars and hauls ass. It makes my Denali feel like a lumbering slug. Got me thinking that maybe I should do a tune for the Denali. What exactly should I expect from an ECM tune? I know Black Bear Performance is always mentioned here, but has anyone used anyone else and happy with the results? Or how was your experience with Black Bear… specifically those with the 6.0 engines?
I had an 08 Avy with a plug in tuner (Edge Evolution). Was basic but helped a bit and they made a nice dash mount so it was like an extra gauge pod on the dash which was nice. It included an economy tune as well as towing and performance tunes. They were built in basic tunes but did help enough to notice it.

When I got my 17 burb I had a CAI and a tune done by Blackbear. Made a huge difference from a "seat of the pants feel." Much bigger difference over the Edge programmer. I'm selling my BB tuner (AutoCal) if you are interested. Not cause its not good but I went down the performance rabbit hole and have to move to HP tuners in order to maximize the truck. PM me if interested.

A set of gears in your diffs will help a lot but remember you will lose top end.

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
I went with the Diablo tuner and Diablew tune route. It definitely helped! I run heavy tires and tow frequently. If I remove the tune the truck becomes a super slug - no fun to drive!

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '05 Yukon 5.3 seems just fine.... I am easy on the peddle. If I make a right turn, and want to "get ahead" of traffic, I accelerate a bit and find no problem getting up to speed. I wonder what expectations some have, driving a VERY HEAVY SUV? I like performance.... But how much MONEY to improve a HEAVY SUV? I like the idea to improve shifting points, but in the real world, is it worth it? ( I used to have a '90's Mercedes 500 SL, and that little beast hauled ass! I think it's a bit silly to expect my Yukon to drive that way.

How much money does it cost to improve a stock set-up? I'm not planning to drag race an Infiniti QX80...

OP
OP
slypher25aussie

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 Yukon 5.3 seems just fine.... I am easy on the peddle. If I make a right turn, and want to "get ahead" of traffic, I accelerate a bit and find no problem getting up to speed. I wonder what expectations some have, driving a VERY HEAVY SUV? I like performance.... But how much MONEY to improve a HEAVY SUV? I like the idea to improve shifting points, but in the real world, is it worth it? ( I used to have a '90's Mercedes 500 SL, and that little beast hauled ass! I think it's a bit silly to expect my Yukon to drive that way.

How much money does it cost to improve a stock set-up? I'm not planning to drag race an Infiniti QX80...

I definitely understand it’s a big heavy SUV, and I’m not expecting to race anyone, but I guess just going from the Yukon to my Infiniti put it into perspective how peppy a big SUV could be.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely understand it’s a big heavy SUV, and I’m not expecting to race anyone, but I guess just going from the Yukon to my Infiniti put it into perspective how peppy a big SUV could be.
I agree... ( hard to compete against an Infiniti )..... I have a 2016 QX50 'small-medium suv).... That car is a bit of a sleeper..... 6-speed / auto / or manual shift optioned, 3.7 V-6, rear wheel drive, the' 370 Z' suspension, and 325 HP !! Very fun to drive !!

( The QX 56 or 80... That transmission is where the performance is.... ( I may have bought one earlier, but the "Tahoe" size is the only size..... Not as much cargo space...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia