What can I gain from a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But... I have mentioned before ( don't remember a response)... But is there a 'tune' to improve performance, but I don't need a huge change.... ( Is there a good 'value' tune ? )
Blackbear seems kinda pricey ....

Bueller? Bueller ?

Last edited:

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Infiniti was created by Nissan just as Lexus was created by Toyota...smart decisions by both automakers to create an upmarket division...like GM did with Buick and Cadillac back when...

Bill

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackbear tune definitely woke up the ol 2003 z71 burb. I also replaced stock restrictive muffler with magnaflow.

My 03 burb with stock 5.3 feels like it pulls stronger than the family’s 6.0 AWD Yukon xl Denali. Both are Blackbear tuned but the burb has 3:73 gears where the Denali has 3:42 or 3:23 gears and AWD sucks power.

In short gear ratio makes a big difference in getup and go.

I have some 0-60 videos of both after the tune. https://youtube.com/@doctube9984?si=YboHCwsRy-d-ADHa

Last edited:

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Experience with BBP has been good. They’ve done several tunes for me.
97 k1500 5.7
03 burb 5.3
04 Yukon xl Denali 6.0

Only issue is once the Denali with 6.0 was tuned, it now throws a CEL complaining about the rear knock sensor (2) low voltage. This was never an issue before the tune. I reached out to blackbear, and they said this can happen because the tune uses the knock sensors more versus the Stock tune.

I’m still waiting for AC Delco knock sensors I’ve ordered 4 AC Delco sensors and only 1 of them tested good. Apparently nearly 50% of the AC Delco sensors are bad right out of the box. They test fine for resistance but when you test for knock they produce little, or no voltage.

I’ve tried local AutoZone, rock auto and even shipped and sold by Amazon. I don’t buy auto parts from any third-party sellers on Amazon. Still trying to find one more good sensor before I remove the intake.

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Experience with BBP has been good. They’ve done several times for me.

Only issue is once the Denali with 6.0 was tuned, it now throws a CEL complaining about the rear knock sensor (2) low voltage. This was never an issue before the tune. I reached out to blackbear, and they said this can happen because the tune uses the knock sensors more versus the Stock tune.

I’m still waiting for AC Delco knock sensors I’ve ordered for only one of them tested good. Apparently there has been nearly 50% of the AC Delco sensors are bad right out of the box. They test fine for resistance but when you test for knock they produce little, or no voltage.

I’ve tried local AutoZone rock auto and even shipped and sold by Amazon. I don’t buy auto parts from any third-party sellers on Amazon. Still trying to find one more good sensor before I remove the intake.
Ask a good mechanic about a sensor..... They may have better options who to buy from. ( commercial accounts ) Or, maybe Summit ??

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask a good mechanic about a sensor..... They may have better options who to buy from. ( commercial accounts ) Or, maybe Summit ??
Amazon is getting a new batch in around November 15th, I have 2 ordered, expected to ship on that date. I’ve ordered from summit as well for other parts. If I get more brand new bad sensors from Amazon I may try Delphi knock sensors. Lots of knockoff brands I won’t try, and reviews of Dorman Knock sensors are bad.

Last edited:

Yukonjoe2001

Reaction score
So I recently acquired a new to me ‘07 Infiniti QX56. I am amazed at the throttle response and power it has. It absolutely roars and hauls ass. It makes my Denali feel like a lumbering slug. Got me thinking that maybe I should do a tune for the Denali. What exactly should I expect from an ECM tune? I know Black Bear Performance is always mentioned here, but has anyone used anyone else and happy with the results? Or how was your experience with Black Bear… specifically those with the 6.0 engines?
Go to michiganmotorsports.com i ordered a pretuned pcm from them and had good results. The site tells you the mods they make to your factory file. $300 if you dont send them your pcm. $225 if you send yours, but i was worried about mine getting lost as my 2001 drive by wire is a little more rare.. I ordered a pcm after a btr cam swap.. They did really good

filthysuburban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tuned my part throttle shift speeds up and changed TCC lockup speed and pwm frequency, gained 1MPG (12.5 to 13.5 lol) on my stock 2005 suburban and being in the mountains it's nice that it doesn't keep trying to shift up every time I let off the gas (my main goal of tuning). Trans temps lowered by about 25F too. I'm just a newbie messing around so I'm taking it slow. Guys say to get a wideband O2 sensor before messing with VE and whatnot so I'm gonna wait until I get one to mess with my engine. I used the odbx pro VX which seems like the cheapest tuning interface, I could write a basic guide if people are interested but like I said I'm new to tuning.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tuned my part throttle shift speeds up and changed TCC lockup speed and pwm frequency. Gained 1MPG (12.5 to 13.5 lol) on my stock 2005 suburban.
Being in the mountains it's nice that it doesn't keep trying to shift up every time I let off the gas (my main goal of tuning).
Trans temps lowered by about 25F too.
You gained MpG AND lowered your ATF temps at the same time.
You drive a 6000lb brick.
People will DEFINITELY be interested in learning from your tuning experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz