Water pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that's what I was wondering, I've taken it off and back on several times and its just 4 nuts that hold it on. I figured it had to be different on a Vortec from my TBI because nobody, no matter how limited their skills are, could have trouble with it.

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have that center thing either.

Nice gatorback belt BTW. I have the same one, super quiet.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That center threaded thingy is where the mech fan is bolted to the pulley.
The four bolts hold the pulley, center thingy and the fan to the water pump.

I know this first hand because the guys in our shop played a trick on me by having me remove the four bolts first when I did my e-fans.
BTW, don't remove those four bolts. You'll end up putting them back on before you can remove the fan and it's a PITA.

Gator's? Ya, I like em. That one is from an 07 5.3l Avalanche. The UD pulley kit didn't come with a belt, and it said to use some no-name belt. I had to google a cross-reference to get my gatorback.

Motown 454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys I know this is an older thread but I just did mine. I tried with just the tension from the belt and it slipped. So I went to Harborfreight and bought a cheap set of rubber strap wrenches. $3.99. When I got home it took 5 minutes to get the strap wrench over the pulley and part of the belt and then 10 seconds and one tap on the crescent wrench to remove the fan clutch. I hope it helps someone.

schube1255

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is an easy way to remove that fan bolt without rental.
first spray some teflon lube or blast or something on the nut - let it soak
then put some duct tape around a pair of big vise grips and lock them to the bell housing. the belt must stay on. I even tightened the belt from the tensioner as I unscrewed the fan with a big pair of channellock pliers.
It turned easily and the rest is pretty simple.
Buy a new pump and make sure you have a good seal.
replace the thermostat as well. USE AC DELCO parts only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645