Water pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brushwood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a '99 Yukon that's leaking coolant. It's dripping down from right beneath the water pump so I'm assuming that it needs to be replaced. I spent over an hour today trying to get the fan off to take a look/replace the pump if needed and it would not budge. The stuff I've read online says that the belt tension should be enough to hold it in place but it's not even close. I gave it a couple doses of W-D40 and tried levering the pulley with a 1x2 but it still wasn't happening. I had the same problem when I replaced the water pump in my car but I got it loose with a LOT less effort. I guess my question is twofold:
#1 Is there some trick to getting that thing off that I am missing?
#2 How much should I expect to pay to take it to a shop to get it done?
I'm basically at the point where I'm going to give up and pay someone else to deal with it.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get that pulley off you'll need to rent a pulley puller from the local parts store...

OP
OP
B

brushwood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To get that pulley off you'll need to rent a pulley puller from the local parts store...

I'm actually not even getting to the part where I'd use the pulley puller (unless I'm misunderstanding something). I can't even get the fan off because the pulley isn't held static by the force of the serpentine belt.

ERIC95TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fan clutch wrench made for use with an air hammer is the best route to go. if you want to save money i would just pay someone to pop the fan clutch off and then do it the rest of the way

OP
OP
B

brushwood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mine came off with whacking an adjustable wrench in the direction of fan rotation to get it loose.

I spent a solid hour doing this and trying to rig something up to prevent the pulley from rotating with the fan since the belt tension wasn't holding it in place.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I did not use any thing to hold mine in place but anyway perhaps you can get a pry bar, remove one or two bolts bolt from the pulley and put temp longer bolts to grab around the pry bar. Just a thought. I don't suppose you can still get the pump of as an entire assembly and deal with it removed from the vehicle.

iced98lx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going to be doing this tomorrow, so I'll post up how it goes..

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
My fan came right off with the 4 bolts holding it :/

also my water pump is leaking, jsut saw it today. Its leaking down inside the actual pulley, like making a little puddle inside the pulley. Not enough right now to piss me off, maybe next yr haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts