Yukon water torture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Agree with B-train. The OP was simply stating his experience with his truck. Are forum members only permitted to post rainbow and unicorn stories about their experiences?

As a former owner of multiple GMT 900 platform trucks, Yukon, Tahoe and Escalade, I too had fond memories of my 2010 Tahoe LTZ. Served me and my family well for 12 years. I had a burning desire to get a 2014 GMT2Kxx Escalade. Thank goodness I didn't. There were so many problems with the transmissions (among other things) that GM bought back, no questions asked, any vehicle with a VIN# prior to xxxxxxx. That was just the beginning. The droning issue at highway speeds for the a number of years and other problems, totally turned me off. Bought a Lexus GX460, a smaller BOF truck than a Tahoe, thinking I might give one a shot until 2019, when the next generation (GMTT1xxx) came out. I followed this forum for years hoping that GM would get it right. Wrong again. How GM screwed up the originally bulletproof LS motors (in the name of fuel economy?) was mind numbing. The heartbreaking stories of where and when valve lifters and now cam (or main?) bearing failures decided to malfunction were well chronicled on this forum, and sadly put me over the edge. I now own three Lexus GX 460's. Truly bulletproof.

Last edited:

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm done buying new. Dealers have their hands tied trying to debug known issues or just aren't good looking for TSBs. I have two known issues with TSBs, so I'm now engaging corporate to try to get dealer to resolve. We are quickly closing in on lemon law out of service limits, which is pretty ridiculous. It seems it takes about twice as long as it should to figure these things out, given I can find TSBs myself and there are hundreds of them.

But once it gets dialed in, I may have to keep it. It _is_ nice when running right and scared us a few times, but never had to be towed in.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems suspect but good luck man. I'll be the first to post issues. As a Toyota loyalist and previous gm tech I'm hoping for these new rigs to show me the gm I know but alas has been problem free.

Much less problems then the gm junk I uses to work on. What's funny is the guys with older rigs chiming in saying they love the reliability of the old junk.

Funny how that works. Guessing they got them second hand or are telling stories thru rose colored glasses.
Which junk in particular did you work on? You might be the first person I’ve heard that prefers the reliability of the newest platform over previous years. Good to hear a differing opinion though.

Canadiansteelman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my family we have had over a dozen Yukons over the last 10 years. All have been great. Currently have 4 Yukons with Duramax engines and every one of them has been near perfect. Maybe some people do have issues but our family certainly hasn’t. As far as we are concerned, they are fantastic vehicles. We are fussy about making sure we service our vehicles on schedule. The newest generation is the best one so far. Can’t say enough good things about the Duramax 3.0. 28 to 30 MPG! Can’t beat that!

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the 2022 Yukon Dura Max with 5500 miles on it from my son. When he had bought it new it developed a leak promptly in the exhaust manifold. The dealer replaced it to no avail and told him they couldn’t fix it. Took it to another dealer with same results. Being farmers we fixed it ourselves. We had to cut the manifold and reweld it and it works yet 40K miles later. We also kept loosing the water out of our windshield washer and they replaced the pump unit but still leaked again. Finally the leak was found going to the rear washer in a line above the spare tire. On nearly a monthly basis when the computer updated something would malfunction afterwards and back to the service center to get it corrected. The computer is worse than any of the twenty some vehicles I have ever owned. That being said, when the Yukon works we love it. It has great power rides nice. Today I am off to trade it as I cannot afford to spend a couple days a month keeping it running. It’s my wife’s ride and you really like to keep her happy. Probably going to try a Toyota.
All manufacturers are pushing pure schit these days. Welcome to efficiency! Your vehicle is now a subscription service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts