Water Leak, Drivers Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got things all sealed up on Monday using Permetex Clear RTV (thanks @Big Mama). Last night we got a decent about of rain, but this morning there was no water in the drivers footwell. I'll chalk this up as a win for now. Gonna give the truck a bath this week, so it should be a good test to see if all is really sealed up. Now that I know what to look for, if I were to have a problem in the future I know where to concentrate.

OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not fixed...We got about 2" of rain a night ago and I found water in the driver footwell. The good part is that it had the red food coloring in it, so I know I just didn't get the RTV into all of the areas I should have. I'll apply more RTV and let it dry, then use the hose to see if it still leaks.

This is a tough area, short of removing the entire Drivers quarter panel, there is no easy way to get to this area. Although, removing the quarter panel is potentially something I have to do to get the repair done right.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I hoped you had it licked but at least the food die let you know where it came from.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
Not fixed...We got about 2" of rain a night ago and I found water in the driver footwell. The good part is that it had the red food coloring in it, so I know I just didn't get the RTV into all of the areas I should have. I'll apply more RTV and let it dry, then use the hose to see if it still leaks.

This is a tough area, short of removing the entire Drivers quarter panel, there is no easy way to get to this area. Although, removing the quarter panel is potentially something I have to do to get the repair done right.

The front fenders aren't horrible. Just a bunch of stuff that is bolted to the inner fenderwell. I believe that when we just replaced my fenders it was six or eight bolts that hold the fender to the frame and body, and some more on the inner fender well. The washer fluid container and pump has a stupid number of bolts on it but once that is out and you can hopefully get enough wiggle room to not have to remove it all.

20200319_184924.jpg 20200321_172914.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I may have gotten the leak resolved. I loaded up the RTV in an around the hood hinge, enough so that no water is pooled and has to drain off. Is it the best way, not sure yet. But it's definitely stopped the leak for now. We ended up getting 2" of rain two nights ago and there was no leak in the morning. I was super happy of course, but cautious. Only time will tell with this one.

Thanks @dkknaebel, that is super helpful.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great news. Hope it holds for you. No one but you looks under the hood anyway so pile it on. If someone asks tell them it came that way. :)

OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's fixed! :head3:

We have gotten 3 storms in the past 10days that each dropped a few inches of rain. Not a single drop of water in the truck. I'm relieved this is resolved. I can move to the next few repairs and maintenance I have planned during my Covid19 furlough. Now, if it would just warm up a little bit...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice, I appreciate it.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score

We have gotten 3 storms in the past 10days that each dropped a few inches of rain. Not a single drop of water in the truck. I'm relieved this is resolved. I can move to the next few repairs and maintenance I have planned during my Covid19 furlough. Now, if it would just warm up a little bit...

That's awesome! I think I fixed my leak today. God I hope I did.

housed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

can you post pictures of the area that you are using the sealant on? i know you said near the cowl.. and what all did you have to take off to get to it? was it necessary to take off the fenders.. ?

i have the same thing .. water pooling in the drivers side door sill and then it keeps growing until it gets in the foot well.. i could just do it like a jeep and drill a hole there at the lowest point and let it drain.. haha.. but i would like to fix it.. i cant see where mine is coming in.. but it looks like it could be running down somewhere from the rubber door seal.. as the inside of that is wet.. i pulled it off and looked at it..