W8TVI's 2000 Yukon XL SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like them
The reason I bought this set, was the entire light lights up for parking lights, not just the brake light area like most sets for our trucks do, while still keeping separate brake and turn signals.

The general theme I've been trying to follow with upgrades I've been doing is a "stock" look.
Try to make it look like it might look if the GMT800 platform was being built today.
The swtichbacks work like the new Yukon DRL/turn signal LED loop, the headlights are Denali copies, etc.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Here is a video of a cheap $20 set of LED tailgate lights installed on my dad's '98 Sierra, that don't work on our SUVs (but would be fine on a truck):
These should be able to work on SUVs. I need to hurry up and install mine.

derek1387

Reaction score
Do
Old and busted, New hotness:
View attachment 72067
Old pattern on the left, new on the right:
View attachment 72068
And here is both with the new:
View attachment 72069
The new lights have a lot less spill above the cutoff, and it looks nice and sharp compared to the old lights.

New lights on the snowy drive:
View attachment 72070
It has a nice cutout on the left that avoids shining light into the face of oncoming cars.

The driver side light went in like butter, but the passenger side fought me for a few minutes.
I think the plastic they used where the pins go in is made from a more flexible kind of plastic, and that wasn't allowing the bottom hole to line up properly.
I didn't break anything getting it in, but it took a little convincing.
Well worth it in the end.

Any idea if you have to make any changes to the hood, like shaving...for an HD hood? I want projectors bad, and keep reading about having to shave to fit on a tahoe with an HD hood (the denali lights)

Thanks

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read on here, I think the HD hood (along with the Tahoe hood) are basically flat across the area that meets the grille.

Denali/Yukon lights won't match up to the fenders, grill (at least I don't think it'll match to the grille), or hood on a Tahoe or Silverado.

You are probably better off retrofitting some projectors into your headlights.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These should be able to work on SUVs. I need to hurry up and install mine.
On my Yukon XL, right under the liftgate, the the bodywork curves off so they would be pointed at the ground.
On mine, there is no where flat enough under the liftgate to mount a strip.

The only way I could see where one could be mounted, would be at the bottom edge of the bumper, or perhaps on the bottom edge of the liftgate itself.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I did some window cleaning this afternoon, I took some more shots of the new swtichbacks, and the last shot shows the cutoff of my HID projector low beams:20170207_174120.jpg 20170207_174126.jpg 20170207_174141.jpg 20170207_174151.jpg 20170207_203640.jpg

These swtichbacks are so bright, I'm sure I'm causing a bit of glare to oncoming drivers, but now I can read road signs now after the cutoff from the projector stops illuminating the signs.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
On my Yukon XL, right under the liftgate, the the bodywork curves off so they would be pointed at the ground.
On mine, there is no where flat enough under the liftgate to mount a strip.

The only way I could see where one could be mounted, would be at the bottom edge of the bumper, or perhaps on the bottom edge of the liftgate itself.
Not on the body, on the top bumper pad where it angles up. There's a small lip that can be a mounting spot . Just a thought. Might work :shrug:

And I wouldn't worry about the glare from the switchbacks , no different than the bright ass Led strips on Audis and teslas.
I can use my switchbacks as dim headlights , seriously I followed a cop once at night to see if he notice and he didn't...till I turned on my signal and he hit his brakes for a second wondering how my headlight had an intergrated turn signal in it lol, had just my (full row drl delete mod) switchbacks and fog lights on only lol.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on the body, on the top bumper pad where it angles up. There's a small lip that can be a mounting spot . Just a thought. Might work :shrug:

And I wouldn't worry about the glare from the switchbacks , no different than the bright ass Led strips on Audis and teslas.
I can use my switchbacks as dim headlights , seriously I followed a cop once at night to see if he notice and he didn't...till I turned on my signal and he hit his brakes for a second wondering how my headlight had an intergrated turn signal in it lol, had just my (full row drl delete mod) switchbacks and fog lights on only lol.

I'll have to look at that on mine...
I still want to do something about my fog lights, but none of the solutions I've read about on here sound like they work that great. And I kinda want to keep it looking mostly "stock".

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do

Any idea if you have to make any changes to the hood, like shaving...for an HD hood? I want projectors bad, and keep reading about having to shave to fit on a tahoe with an HD hood (the denali lights)

Thanks

Hope I am understanding this post.

HD hood to Tahoe = direct bolt on, No mods necessary.

OEM Tahoe hood and 01-02 Silverado HD hood both have the flat lower lip that meets the grille and headlights in a straight line across. See my build thread. I'll see if I find the HD hood master thread.

HD hood to Yukon requires modding to form fit to the headlights due to the curvature of the Yukon lights. Still a direct 6 bolts fit to the hinges.

This has been done and looks sweet, just needs a good fab job as you need to cut the hood and roll the front lip back.

mmeachem

Reaction score
Here is another upgrade for the LED dome light:
View attachment 71321
When the dome light turns on, the two map lights turn on.
View attachment 71322
I did it with a couple of diodes between the lights. Below is a schematic of how it works:
View attachment 71323
I was playing with a circuit emulator program to make sure the idea would work.
I checked the current being drawn by the LEDs in the map lights, and each one only draw 100ma.
I found some 1A 600v diodes in my parts box, and soldered them so the map lights would get ground
from the dome light ground. You want to use diodes so the map lights still work like normal, and don't back-feed into the dome lights.
How exactly and where exactly did you put the diodes, fuse box? Very interesting mod especially the all on dome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10