VaraRam Tri-Power for 2009+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called VaraRam and they said they should have this revised design (to accept the modular MAF) completed by late spring / early summer 2010.

It would be interesting to see how it's going to change. If the answer is merely to drill a hole in the box for the plug-in MAF, I'd be ok buying the old version and drilling my own hole.

================================================

Maybe I will just get new tube and keep the stock box. Anyone have any suggestions on the best deal / best value tube (prefer black)?

Does anyone know if there is one of those rubber resonators on the end of the box (in the fenderwell - like old 5.0L Mustangs had)?

I am guessing that a nice, "non-resonator-pocketed" tube, a drop-in K&N and the removal of anything "stupid" on the suction / fenderwell side of the box should solve 99% of the problem.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO install the Volant CAI or similar type closed box intake. The last time I checked, the price just for an upgraded tube was ~$160 (Airaid MIT) and that is not worth it.

I do not like the design of the VaraRam. The use of flex tubing is not efficient for flow (corregated rigids will create turbulent flow and it looks cheap) and changing that filter (proprietary shape?) looks like a pain in the a$$. In addition, their "dyno testing" if I recall correctly yielded ~50 hp...

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proven dyno result on a 6.2L over on PerformanceTrucks forum significant gains in torque and horsepower

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at that email chain and yes there were gains, but this was done using HPTuners (laptop, program, OBDII) not a rolling dyno (correct me if I am wrong). The gains were 25hp without tune and 54hp with tune (evaluated using HPTuners on a laptop) on a 6.2L with aftermarket exhaust.

I am not trying to argue the performance improvements, I am sure it is better than stock and I like the twin ram air idea. However, I am just providing food for thought in light of the past threads where buyers were expecting way more from a product and were dissapointed. In this case expecting to feel the full 50hp as advertised.

In the end, this intake is relatively cheap and is worth trying. I have only seen one member use this on a 5.3L with slightly better than stock butt dyno results. Not that it really matters, but I would like to see dyno results for the 5.3Ls.

IMO, if the gains are similar to other CAIs, I would still chose the Volant.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
E

elbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO install the Volant CAI or similar type closed box intake. The last time I checked, the price just for an upgraded tube was ~$160 (Airaid MIT) and that is not worth it.

I do not like the design of the VaraRam. The use of flex tubing is not efficient for flow (corregated rigids will create turbulent flow and it looks cheap) and changing that filter (proprietary shape?) looks like a pain in the a$$. In addition, their "dyno testing" if I recall correctly yielded ~50 hp...

The problem is that 2009+ MAFs are no longer separate housings. My MAF simply plugs / drops into a hole in the stock airbox neck (modular, sort of like an IAT sensor).

There are no CAIs available at the moment which properly accomodate this.

This is why I'd simply like a new tube (may have to cut a few inches off of it), a drop in filter and would like to remove any garbage that may or may not exist on the suction side of the stock airbox (i.e. donkey ass rubber necks inside the fenderwell).

============

Or, I'll wait for the new VaraRam. Who knows if they'll still sell it for $286 shipped. I'm guessing they'll charge more to make up the costs of R&D and the new mold.

Last edited:

Seth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the Volant CAI with the Power Core Filter. I have had a Volant in the last 4 vehicles I've owned. This is the first one to use the Power Core filter. The enclosed box provides the most protection period.

Second to that I have a Volant CAI with the Power Core Filter that was shipped incorrectly for my 07 Tahoe (its for a 09-10) that I would pass on to someone else that can use it for a great price. (it wasnt free for me but, I am a dealer for them and will sell it for what I paid)

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
InTruck:happy160:

The problem is that 2009+ MAFs are no longer separate housings. My MAF simply plugs / drops into a hole in the stock airbox neck (modular, sort of like an IAT sensor).

There are no CAIs available at the moment which properly accomodate this.

It looks like AFE and Airaid have intakes for the 09s. I would chose the AFE over the Airaid. But if Vararam costs remain the same it would be cheaper :hmm:.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmm how much are you asking bro?

I have the Volant CAI with the Power Core Filter. I have had a Volant in the last 4 vehicles I've owned. This is the first one to use the Power Core filter. The enclosed box provides the most protection period.

Second to that I have a Volant CAI with the Power Core Filter that was shipped incorrectly for my 07 Tahoe (its for a 09-10) that I would pass on to someone else that can use it for a great price. (it wasnt free for me but, I am a dealer for them and will sell it for what I paid)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10