My Experience with Fox 2.0 Coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robbpike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought that I would briefly share my experience with the install and end results of the Fox 2.0 coilovers. This is not meant to be a detailed, how-to, but merely to help someone that may find themselves in a similar situation as I was prior to install. First, I am not trying to fault anyone at all or discredit anyone else's experiences with these. They are marketed as providing 2" of lift out of the box. They are specifically made for the Silverado/Sierra, which has a lot in common with our suspension, but it appears that there are enough differences that people are getting very mixed results with these on the SUV's.

I also want to give a huge shout out to some of the users on here that have posted their experiences as well. Olyelr shared with me his experiences with an install on a Denali and saw almost 3" of lift with his application. I also owe Z71_BURBAN big time as he took the time to go out and get measurements for me on his Suburban and let me know how much exposed thread were on his coilovers from the factory. The people here are huge assets to the community and I thought the least I could do would be to share my experience and try to benefit someone else as well.

Anyhow, the install was on a 2015 Suburban Z71. At the time of install, I had 114k on the original factory suspension so it was tired and could benefit from new struts and shocks at a minimum. I had noticed prior to install that some other trims of the full size SUV line-up seemed to sit a little bit lower in front than mine did, which indicated that something may be different with the suspension set-up, but I wasn't sure exactly what that was. I was looking for around 2" of lift and the thought that I could get 3" concerned me as I didn't want the rear end to squat lower than the front, and I didn't want to be forced into new control arms. As received, the Fox 2.0 coilovers had 39 exposed threads which measured at 2.75" of exposed threads. I initially saw that much out of the box and was already worried that I was going to get way too much lift already. I had reached out to Z71_BURBAN as I mentioned earlier because he had installed them on his 2019 Suburban Z71 and mentioned that he got about 1.75" of lift from his install. He was gracious enough to climb under his and measure his exposed threads and confirmed that he too had about 2.75" exposed. This comforted me a little prior to install because I was seriously starting to question whether I was going to have to turn them down before I ever put them on the truck.

With this information in hand, I was feeling much more confident in moving forward and decided it was time to go for it. The install itself was really quite simple. I found this process to be much easier than installing the leveling blocks that I have installed in the past. I have installed lower leveling spacers on our previous 2009 Suburban and a 2007 Silverado in the past and this was a far easier install. Remove the three upper nuts, loosen the sway bar end link, and remove the two lower bolts. Pull the strut assembly out of place and reverse the order for the new coilovers. Needless to say, I was pleased with how easy this was. Of course, follow the install with an alignment.

Below is a picture of the new coilover next to the stock strut that was removed.

020722-1.jpg
It is a cell phone picture, so I apologize for the lack of clarity. I should have also shown with a measuring tape the difference in length between the two. The new coilover is about 3/4" longer than the factory strut. Once installed, like Z71_BURBAN, I experienced 1.75" of lift and am very pleased with the height. The ride is also superior to that of a leveling spacer, in my opinion. I know that it may settle a little, and I certainly hope that the settling isn't too extreme or I may have to remove them and turn them up a little to restore lost height. Here they are installed, followed by a couple pictures of the completed truck.

020722-2.jpg
020722-3.jpg
020722-4.jpg
Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome, and I would highly recommend them as an alternative to traditional leveling kits. They are more expensive than leveling spacers, but I really do like the ride quality with these. I hope more than anything else, that someone might find this information helpful if they are looking to install these for their own application.

Last edited:

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy about Fox 2.0s!
Truck looks great too

IMO - Fox has outstanding customer service and tech department; as well as a great service program. The Fox 2.0s are serviceable and Fox provides different recommended service intervals depending on usage. Keeping the old pair of OE front coil overs may pay off down the road as one needs to remove the Fox shocks and ship them in for servicing. Either leave your ride sitting up while your shocks get cleaned or throw on the old pair for a couple weeks just to get around town.

Thank you for the informative write-up -> you spoke with some very knowledgeable TYForum members regarding your purchase and install. Now go have fun!!!

Safe Travels!

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic i found when i first put them on my wifes denali. Im not exactly sure what the overall height was from stock, because i had a leveling spacer in it prior to install (which i did remove), but it was obviously way too dang high. 24981CD1-F49F-4DBC-BD1F-58160165F48B.jpeg

Vela23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I'm a new member just joined because i was looking for info on doing a leveling lift on my '19 tahoe. I was looking at doing the Fox Coilovers but saw they only have 0-1" lift as for their fittment on the fox website. I saw your post and was wondering if you bought the 2.0 coilovers for the 19 sierra/silverado or are you talking about getting that out of the 14-19 tahoe fitted coilover.?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a new member just joined because i was looking for info on doing a leveling lift on my '19 tahoe. I was looking at doing the Fox Coilovers but saw they only have 0-1" lift as for their fittment on the fox website. I saw your post and was wondering if you bought the 2.0 coilovers for the 19 sierra/silverado or are you talking about getting that out of the 14-19 tahoe fitted coilover.?
Back when i put them on my wifes denali they did not have anything advertised for the suv’s. The 2.0 truck coilover is what i used.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The Fox coil overs fit the GM trucks as well. You will most likely experience more lift than advertised on your Tahoe...as you've seen in other members' posts; +1-3" after install (depending on your vehicle). The actual realized ride height increase is really leaning more towards the higher end of that scale.

This is what you're looking for, Fox part# 985-02-018 Fox Performance Series 2.0 IFP Coil-Over

You might want to look at online suspension packages that include the pair of Fox 2.0 front coil overs, pair Fox 2.0 rear shocks and new, aftermarket UCAs. Many TYForum members suggest that when raising over +2" new UCAs installed is beneficial, particularly to CV angles. The wheels you are running (OE vs. Aftermarket) could be a determining factor on new UCAs.
Some aftermarket UCAs will rub with OE wheels, some will not.

Safe Travels!

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fox coil overs fit the GM trucks as well. You will most likely experience more lift than advertised on your Tahoe...as you've seen in other members' posts; +1-3" after install (depending on your vehicle). The actual realized ride height increase is really leaning more towards the higher end of that scale.

This is what you're looking for, Fox part# 985-02-018 Fox Performance Series 2.0 IFP Coil-Over

You might want to look at online suspension packages that include the pair of Fox 2.0 front coil overs, pair Fox 2.0 rear shocks and new, aftermarket UCAs. Many TYForum members suggest that when raising over +2" new UCAs installed is beneficial, particularly to CV angles. The wheels you are running (OE vs. Aftermarket) could be a determining factor on new UCAs.
Some aftermarket UCAs will rub with OE wheels, some will not.

Safe Travels!
Some good info!

Upper control arms will not do anything for the axleshaft angles. Most do make changes to the ball joint, however, for it to be at a better placement in a lifted application.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. I did not necessarily mean to refer to the CV axle angle, but the control arm ball joint angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC