Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we may be getting close to new battery time. The ACDelco 48PS has been in the truck 3 years now, about 1500 hours and 40K miles. I haven't been driving much these past few months and the battery charge has been quite low lately. The last 4 times that we checked with the Tech-2 it was in the 50s, then 30s, then twice more in the 50s. A run down to Grandma's house a few days ago charged it up as on our return trip the alternator finally went into reduced charging state. My co-pilot had a headache so we didn't check the state of charge then. Will check it next time as we head out and keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck sat until yesterday and the start up state of charge was back up to 63%. I unplugged all the USB adapters and the 12v adapter for the dash cam which has red light on it.

Ok, so two tanks of gas ago I filled her up with 93 octane from Chevron and two of their bottles of Techron. That tank had a lot of idling on it but still managed an average of 15.4 MPG with an alcohol content of 12%.

Then we refueled down south at another Chevron with 93 again (6%). On the trip north to home, the MPGs were 19.3 MPG by the time we pulled into the driveway. I've NEVER EVER NEVER seen fuel economy like that in this thing. We even hit some traffic and switched highways because of an accident.

Yesterday afternoon we made the same run down south and back north again in the evening. By the time we hit the highway she was reading 18.8 and struggling to stay there at 71 mph. But when I sped up to 73-74 the mpgs quickly climbed into the 19s and arrived at Grandma's at 19.3 MPG again. Somebody pinch me!

All that testing back in '17 and '18 never revealed a hint of this. My SV6 Montana gets better mileage the faster it goes but never seen that from this truck. On the way home however, my hopes were shattered, no matter how fast or slow I drove, the average mpgs kept dropping until it read 18.0 in the driveway. Still a record though.

Truck has some leaks and weeping underneath and have been slowly collecting parts and tools to replace seals and lines while watching the fluid levels. Still not enough to even mark up the driveway. Hope to get to it soon while the weather remains cool and hopefully stays dry.

Santa Claus has thus far gifted the truck an Inclination Sensor (17800432/22962506) for Christmas.

Merry Christmas fellas!

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start Up State of Charge yesterday was 64% after the truck sat for about 14 hours. Ran South for about an hour, sat for 4 hours and it was 70%. Forgot what it was when we returned home. Will check tomorrow. ACDelco 48PS is 40 months old now and has 40,958 miles and 1458 engine hours on it.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start Up State of Charge this afternoon was 53%. Truck has not been driven since the 27th. Started just fine, nothing was left plugged in. Battery to me it seems is just about wore out. What do you fellas think?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Start Up State of Charge this afternoon was 53%. Truck has not been driven since the 27th. Started just fine, nothing was left plugged in. Battery to me it seems is just about wore out. What do you fellas think?

These trucks, with all the different "computers" and modules, do have a lot more parasitic draw than the older vehicles, that is for sure.

I've never really paid attention or kept track of what the state of charge is on the Burb's battery so I'm not sure what "normal" is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks, with all the different "computers" and modules, do have a lot more parasitic draw than the older vehicles that is for sure.

I've never really paid attention or kept track of what the state of charge is on Burb's battery so I'm not sure what "normal" is.

I barely paid attention too. I can say that that since owning it, the Start Up State of Charge was always in the 70 percent range (when I bothered to look). Same for regulator set point (70s- low 80s) and such.

Happy New Year Folks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins

Latest posts