Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was younger there was MAR (Mid America Raceway) about 30 miles west in Wentzville, MO. I liked that one a lot. It was in the country, amongst fields and meadows and the pit area had trees and grass. It closed and they built a subdivision in its place
Same here, a subdivision was put on top of the track in Hollywood after it closed in 1993. Then we had to drive 66 miles to the one that just closed. Now the closest track time-wise is 117 miles away. Sebring is closer as the crow flies but it is 1/8th mile and never know when it will be open.

I bought some VC2000s, the computers we used in the 1990s for speed testing. Country roads are close by around here. But man, I love making passes down the quarter mile!

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here, a subdivision was put on top of the track in Hollywood after it closed in 1993. Then we had to drive 66 miles to the one that just closed. Now the closest track time-wise is 117 miles away. Sebring is closer as the crow flies but it is 1/8th mile and never know when it will be open.

I bought some VC2000s, the computers we used in the 1990s for speed testing. Country roads are close by around here. But man, I love making passes down the quarter mile!
I miss Palm Beach Raceway , just a 1/2 hour away. Too bad it was managed like a hobby.
There is a proposal for a new full- size replacement on land, just west of me. But I am concerned, it is not far away, enough from residential areas. ( search, google maps, for 'twenty mile bend' in West Palm Beach. It's only 15 minutes from me !!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss Palm Beach Raceway , just a 1/2 hour away. Too bad it was managed like a hobby.
There is a proposal for a new full- size replacement on land, just west of me. But I am concerned, it is not far away, enough from residential areas. ( search, google maps, for 'twenty mile bend' in West Palm Beach. It's only 15 minutes from me !!
And they were looking to put a track just north of the old one as well. Very familiar with twenty-mile bend, the property on the south side is or was a police training range.

At one time we lived in Clewiston and used to work in Belle Glade, Pahokee, Canal Point, etc. Have you ridden US Sugar's steam engine yet?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they were looking to put a track just north of the old one as well. Very familiar with twenty-mile bend, the property on the south side is or was a police training range.

At one time we lived in Clewiston and used to work in Belle Glade, Pahokee, Canal Point, etc. Have you ridden US Sugar's steam engine yet?

The proposed property is next to the Police shooting range. I want to take a drive to 20 mile bend and see how far ( close) the residential area is.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The proposed property is next to the Police shooting range. I want to take a drive to 20 mile bend and see how far ( close) the residential area is.
It's almost a mile as the crow flies. The nearest subdivision I see is next to Palm Beach Aggregates on the north side of Southern. There's nothing to the south but wetlands and cane fields to the west.

I like driving out that way, especially when they are burning the cane in the fall. Love the smell, brings back lots of memories.

My father used to work for US Sugar and would bring home shopping bags (brown paper back then) full of fresh cane sugar.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After working on both 9.5" axles now, I think it best to take best parts from each one to make one whole.

I changed my mind and decided to use the original axle, called Myers. Then my helper gouged the metal where the wheel seals go. That would have to be fixed I think so it would not leak in the future. The axles on this one are in better condition with no wear patterns but the wheel studs are quite rusty from sitting outside. I think they'll clean up with a wire wheel.

The carrier of this axle appears to be in better condition. The assembly turns freely while the other binds up as you turn the yoke. I think the rotation torque measured 19 inch pounds and the backlash was .009. The binding axle's (Jupiter) rotational torque is 50 inch pounds of torque. The Myers axle had Koyo wheel bearings.

Thinking about using the Jupiter axle's housing with the carrier and axles from Myers. Any issues with that I'm not thinking of?

Do you think the gouges in the axle tube where the seals go is a problem? I'll take and post up some photos.

@gooffeyguy @iamdub @mountie @Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After working on both 9.5" axles now, I think it best to take best parts from each one to make one whole.

I changed my mind and decided to use the original axle, called Myers. Then my helper gouged the metal where the wheel seals go. That would have to be fixed I think so it would not leak in the future. The axles on this one are in better condition with no wear patterns but the wheel studs are quite rusty from sitting outside. I think they'll clean up with a wire wheel.

The carrier of this axle appears to be in better condition. The assembly turns freely while the other binds up as you turn the yoke. I think the rotation torque measured 19 inch pounds and the backlash was .009. The binding axle's (Jupiter) rotational torque is 50 inch pounds of torque. The Myers axle had Koyo wheel bearings.

Thinking about using the Jupiter axle's housing with the carrier and axles from Myers. Any issues with that I'm not thinking of?

Do you think the gouges in the axle tube where the seals go is a problem? I'll take and post up some photos.

I would guess it would depend on where the gouge is, I have had issue's with wheel bearings leaking before even after multiple new bearings and even new 1/2 axles.
but that was at fairly high mileage (close to 300k) I presumed the axle housing was just worn out, a gouge could cause a leak or wear on the bearing surface I would guess if it is up in the seal lip area it might not be a problem.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess it would depend on where the gouge is, I have had issue's with wheel bearings leaking before even after multiple new bearings and even new 1/2 axles.
but that was at fairly high mileage (close to 300k) I presumed the axle housing was just worn out, a gouge could cause a leak or wear on the bearing surface I would guess if it is up in the seal lip area it might not be a problem.
Warm weather and more birthdays this week and next, not sure I'll even get to look at it for a few days at least.

Reaction score

Is the gouge in the axle tube or on the axle?

I've seen sleeves made for crankshaft end seal areas and I believe axles if they're damaged.

If it's the inside of the housing maybe smooth it out with something like emery cloth or a fine sanding drum and use some sealant on the outer edge of the bearing/inside edge of the tube when installing? Maybe they make oversized bearings for this application? I've seen them for other things.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got to spend a little bit of time with the axle before sunset. My intent was to pull the carrier out and then move the axle inside.

Well, when I put the breaker bar on the first carrier bolt, it wasn't that tight. None of them were. My brain said, "somebody has been here before"! When I took the carrier out there were no shims other than the cast iron shim on the right. I guess someone at the salvage yard raided the axle for the shims way back when. I left the pinion in for now, rain coming tomorrow and for several days after. Found a new tarp under the workbench so we sprayed the whole thing down with WD40 and covered it with the tarp.

So without shims, I'm really starting from zero right?

I guess I ought to remove the carrier from the other axle and see if that one has any shims and what they were to at least get an idea of where to start right? As grandma used to say, "Oy Vey!"

Oh Tom, the gouges seem a very minor compared to when they were made! LOL I think they'll rub out with emery cloth and maybe the deep ones could be filled with JB Weld or just left alone, it's in the area of where the seal's metal will be just inside the axle tube. I took some photos but they are terrible and don't really show anything.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts