Upgrading my brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Either way will work, but I have found and heard that installing them so that the slots are like this / toward the front of the truck. Some have seen better longevity out of the pads with them in that direction. The key thing to keep in mind is to make sure to perform a proper complete brake system service and then properly maintain the fluids often and you should be good to go with them installed either way. I have them installed both ways on my vehicles to test this theory, but they are all wearing so well that it is taking a long time to complete that testing.

This. I installed mine facing facing the front. I.e. the holes or lines closest to the outer part of the rotor will rotate towards the front of the car.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris, can you tell me the correct hawks part number for my '05 z71. I bought them when I bought the rotors. I was sent HB496 f.640 They do not fit... the are too long.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris, can you tell me the correct hawks part number for my '05 z71. I bought them when I bought the rotors. I was sent HB496 f.640 They do not fit... the are too long.

I will have to call them in the morning to double check those part numbers. When I look up the 05 Z71 in their catalog I only show the rear Hawks being listed. But I cannot verify the application without calling them myself. Please bare with me while I get in touch with them. Once I do I will contact you to get you the new parts. Please email me with your original email invoice to [email protected] so that I can have that on hand when I call them.

natural_one

Reaction score
Wow...so much info but I still have some questions. Im looking to put an order in today and really dont know anything about brakes. Learning as I go, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Some questions, as Im looking to upgrade all 4 corners on my 2007 2wd tahoe with 26s.

1- Is replacing the rotors and pads a pretty easy DIY task? I have plenty of tools, jacks, stands, etc, but have never done this work before.

2- assuming I go with the R1 E-line or Premium Series rotors, they are the factory size and do not require moving or relocating the calipers right? Simple bolt on?

3- I see people recommending NOT doing drilled and just doing slotted for heating/cracking issues. I'd rather have drilled for looks alone. Can anyone verify if having drilled is really something I should steer away from? For $7 difference I'd rather have the open drilled holes.

4- Premium vs. Eline. Seems like a big difference is the black electro-coated finish, which if Im right is there to eliminate the rust that would happen on the E-Line series. Comparing drilled and slotted on both versions, is the $150 difference worth it?

5- pads: Are the Posi-Quiet Ceramics offered by R1 the ones to go with assuming I go with one of the above rotors?

Thank you, anyone, for your help.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
1: yes real easy. I did it myself for the first time and it was not bad at all. Evrything fit nicely.

2: simple bolt on.

3: drilled works fine for me :shrug:

4: my premium rotors rust but not too bad. Just in the drilled holes

5: yes, they work really well with my 24's and don't squeek at all.

natural_one

Reaction score
1: yes real easy. I did it myself for the first time and it was not bad at all. Evrything fit nicely.

2: simple bolt on.

3: drilled works fine for me :shrug:

4: my premium rotors rust but not too bad. Just in the drilled holes

5: yes, they work really well with my 24's and don't squeek at all.

Awesome. Thank you for the answers. Do you happen to have any pictures of them installed with the wheels mounted back on? Trying to gauge how much they truly stand out. Thanks again! If emailing is easier than hosting and posting here, than tylermathews at me dot com is my direct email.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I'll post up pics when I get home. With 26's I'm sure your gonna see them....problem is, bbk's are so expensive. Fhats why I went this route. I'm satisfied though and chris has top notch service as well

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up the part number on hawk's site and gave them a call this morning. They are sending the correct pads out. R1 couldn't find the correct part number. I had to look it up. Strange. Are there different calipers on a z71?

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...so much info but I still have some questions. Im looking to put an order in today and really dont know anything about brakes. Learning as I go, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Some questions, as Im looking to upgrade all 4 corners on my 2007 2wd tahoe with 26s.

1- Is replacing the rotors and pads a pretty easy DIY task? I have plenty of tools, jacks, stands, etc, but have never done this work before.

2- assuming I go with the R1 E-line or Premium Series rotors, they are the factory size and do not require moving or relocating the calipers right? Simple bolt on?

3- I see people recommending NOT doing drilled and just doing slotted for heating/cracking issues. I'd rather have drilled for looks alone. Can anyone verify if having drilled is really something I should steer away from? For $7 difference I'd rather have the open drilled holes.

4- Premium vs. Eline. Seems like a big difference is the black electro-coated finish, which if Im right is there to eliminate the rust that would happen on the E-Line series. Comparing drilled and slotted on both versions, is the $150 difference worth it?

5- pads: Are the Posi-Quiet Ceramics offered by R1 the ones to go with assuming I go with one of the above rotors?

Thank you, anyone, for your help.

1. Yes, if you have basic mechanical skills and tools you will be fine.

2. Yes, both the Premium and Eline Series rotors are direct OEM replacement rotors.

3. Drilling becomes an issue with some companies because of the process they use for drilling (on street driven vehicles). Many times the drilled holes will be so close to the veins inside the halves of the rotor that they will actually crack those veins during manufacturing. The drilling process itself can be an issue if not done properly. There are plenty of "cheap" brake part companies out there offering drilled and slotted rotors that you do not want. But I have run drilled and slotted on everything I own since 2009 (all from R1concepts and both Premium and Eline series rotors) and have never had a single issue.

4. The Premium rotors (G3500) are a heavier grade of cast iron than the Eline Series (G3000). Both series rotors are coated for corrosion resistance, the Premium have a black military grade "E" (electrocoat) coating and the Eline series have a shiny "Zinc" based coating. I am not sure which one would last longer because I have had both on my vehicles for several years and neither have rusted on the coated areas. But the pad surface of the rotor will rust if the vehicle is left to sit for very long.

5. I have the PosiQuiet full ceramic pads on every vehicle I own in combination with both the Premium rotors and the Eline rotors and have never had any problems of any kind.

I looked up the part number on hawk's site and gave them a call this morning. They are sending the correct pads out. R1 couldn't find the correct part number. I had to look it up. Strange. Are there different calipers on a z71?

It is odd that R1 couldn't look those up. I am still waiting for a return call from my rep, I would like to hear what he says about them.

natural_one

Reaction score
1. Yes, if you have basic mechanical skills and tools you will be fine.

2. Yes, both the Premium and Eline Series rotors are direct OEM replacement rotors.

3. Drilling becomes an issue with some companies because of the process they use for drilling (on street driven vehicles). Many times the drilled holes will be so close to the veins inside the halves of the rotor that they will actually crack those veins during manufacturing. The drilling process itself can be an issue if not done properly. There are plenty of "cheap" brake part companies out there offering drilled and slotted rotors that you do not want. But I have run drilled and slotted on everything I own since 2009 (all from R1concepts and both Premium and Eline series rotors) and have never had a single issue.

4. The Premium rotors (G3500) are a heavier grade of cast iron than the Eline Series (G3000). Both series rotors are coated for corrosion resistance, the Premium have a black military grade "E" (electrocoat) coating and the Eline series have a shiny "Zinc" based coating. I am not sure which one would last longer because I have had both on my vehicles for several years and neither have rusted on the coated areas. But the pad surface of the rotor will rust if the vehicle is left to sit for very long.

5. I have the PosiQuiet full ceramic pads on every vehicle I own in combination with both the Premium rotors and the Eline rotors and have never had any problems of any kind.

Again, awesome. thank you. I either emailed or PM'd you last night...you can ignore that as my questions are answered now.

How do I save 15% on an order? I click the link in your sig but Im not seeing it.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo