C0299-5A Service Brakes Soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gregsmy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a somewhat random "Service Brakes Soon" that shows on the dash. I recently purchased a bi directional scan tool to help figure this out. The code I get is the C0299-5A "Brake boost regulation pressure sensor plausibility failure". I replaced the sensor a year or so back with the same issue and it went away for a while. Its mostly random that it happens with the exception of after work. Almost every day at the the exact same place the "service brakes soon" message will pop up. I clear it with the top button and its good on the rest of the drive home. Its after the truck has been running for about 10 minutes and I am just leaving work. I get down the road a few miles driving around 60-65 mph with light to no acceleration. The brakes work normally not requiring any extra effort. I used my scan tool to record some data of the vacuum and just as I start to leave, the vacuum starts to drop according to the sensor. It slowly clicks down to the point it trips the sensor and the SBS message pops up. It continues to show very low vacuum even when I am stopping to make a turn (brakes feel fine and work normally). Then about 10 minutes later it starts to slowly click back up to the normal range. I have replaced the o-ring between the mc and booster. I also checked the vacuum hose from the booster to manifold and it looks good. It sure seems like the sensor has gone bad again but I wonder why? It's like a $60 part, so I dont want to just replace it if it could be something else. Any help would be appreciated. If there is other data that I should be looking at please let me know.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a somewhat random "Service Brakes Soon" that shows on the dash. I recently purchased a bi directional scan tool to help figure this out. The code I get is the C0299-5A "Brake boost regulation pressure sensor plausibility failure". I replaced the sensor a year or so back with the same issue and it went away for a while. Its mostly random that it happens with the exception of after work. Almost every day at the the exact same place the "service brakes soon" message will pop up. I clear it with the top button and its good on the rest of the drive home. Its after the truck has been running for about 10 minutes and I am just leaving work. I get down the road a few miles driving around 60-65 mph with light to no acceleration. The brakes work normally not requiring any extra effort. I used my scan tool to record some data of the vacuum and just as I start to leave, the vacuum starts to drop according to the sensor. It slowly clicks down to the point it trips the sensor and the SBS message pops up. It continues to show very low vacuum even when I am stopping to make a turn (brakes feel fine and work normally). Then about 10 minutes later it starts to slowly click back up to the normal range. I have replaced the o-ring between the mc and booster. I also checked the vacuum hose from the booster to manifold and it looks good. It sure seems like the sensor has gone bad again but I wonder why? It's like a $60 part, so I dont want to just replace it if it could be something else. Any help would be appreciated. If there is other data that I should be looking at please let me know.
this one? if so there may be a way to test it, maybe a ohm test

OP
OP
G

gregsmy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
this one? if so there may be a way to test it, maybe a ohm test
No. It’s the vacuum sensor that goes into the brake booster. Like the old style check valve but with a sensor built in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts