Upgrading my brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
So My rotors are warped and I need to get new brakes and all that good stuff. I want a bigger brake since I do have 22s and 24s. Now I cant really afford wilwoods, but If I could just replace the front now and then the back later, I would try for some baer or ssbc brakes. I have NO CLUE what to get. I might try to put this in myself, BUT might also have my mechanic do it.

So....what do I get? I'm looking to spend maybe 400-500 now, If I need to I can spend just a bit more, but not much. Do I just get new rotors and do I need to replace the brake lines as well? Again, I will need EVERYTHING.

A little info about me. I do accelerate fast but dont really speed. I do brake at the end of a stop, I'm not a slowly brake kinda guy, I brake at last minute(steady though) though I don't slam on the brakes. I am looking into 26s in the future(next 2-3 years) and don't really want to upgrade brakes again.

2010_5thgen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you find a big brake kit for 500, let me know! by the way....you wont find a big brake kit for 500. not even just the front. my suggestion would be hawk hps brake pads all the way around, slotted rotors all the way around and front stainless steel brake lines. that should help you out alot without spending 3k on a front big brake kit

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit up clkelley, man! Get a set of R1 Concepts. With that budget they are GREAT and will be an improvement over stock especially if you get the drilled/slotted versions! :waytogo:

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Thanks man, a little more is no problem. Ive found some baer kits on ebay new for around $1200-$1400 depending on model. But i just want the front for now. Hell i can buy just the rotors for around 500 on ebay. I just want to know what all to get, what pieces i need to buy. I have no clue. I normally use ebc brake pads but am open to others as well.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

I tried looking through their site jacob, but didnt find anything. I used the search by vehicle and put all the info in and got nothing about brakes. Hell, couldnt find anything on brakes. ???? Duno.....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit up clkelley, man! Get a set of R1 Concepts. With that budget they are GREAT and will be an improvement over stock especially if you get the drilled/slotted versions! :waytogo:

x2

i got the R1 premium-series drill&slotted rotoros. had them on for a few months now and no complains

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
Look for SSBC They have a 14" front rotor and caliper relocation for I think 400-500. But be carefull with them. I know it is a pretty good company but I got the same kit and it warped very easily. I could have just gotten a bad kit. Also bear sells something similar but with a 15" rotor and caliper relocation for about same price. As for lines I say you wouldn't need to. Also get Hawk pads.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a combination that has proven itself over and over and over again for folks with regular sized rims as well as larger rims, I highly recommend the R1Concepts double cross drilled and slotted rotors in combination with Posi Quiet Ceramic pads. They would not be "bigger" than stock, but they perform 100 times better than stock. There are a good number of members here running this same combination and I have yet to have a single complaint about the performance of this combo. With this combo you could do the front rotors, pads and caliper hardware and stay within your stated budget. Especially with the 10% discount for forum members. If you want to check them out, simply click the link in my signature and then use the year make and model look up to find the right parts for your truck. The rotors and pads are sold as an axle set, so when you see the price, that is for two rotors, pads, etc. When going through the shopping cart, use promo code CK10 to receive the 10% off the already ridiculously low pricing.

I have personally ran this combination on my Duramax hauling stupid large heavy loads and they have been on the truck for four years now. Before them I was going through stock replacement rotors and ceramic pads annually. I would put them up against SSBC, Baer or any other brakes available without hesitation. I have staked my reputation on them for years and they have yet to let me down.

If you have any questions, concerns or would simply like a little assistance finding what you need, feel free to PM or email me for more information.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

I also agree with the stainless lines, stainless lines reduce the amount of flex in the line while under pressure during braking to help in providing more consistent braking overall.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz