U-Haul Trailer Towing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be towing a dual axle U-Haul trailer loaded with stuff about 1,200 miles in a week in a half. My questions include;

1. What do I air up my tow vehicle's tires to? Maximum inflation listed on sidewall?

2. What do I air the trailer tires up to? Maximum inflation listed on sidewall?

3. Do I have to stop at weigh stations?

Thanks!

4872032044_a98ff44707_b.jpg

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the tow vehicle you could bump up the psi a few but probably isn't needed. All depends on how much weight the trailer and contents inside are. Tongue weight should be between 10-15% if loaded evenly so at 1000 lbs (just a random easy number) only roughly 100-150 lbs will be on the tongue or the tow vehicle itself.

Going by your door sticker (if you still have somewhat of the same tires that came from the factory) the psi listed should cover the axle weight ratings. So as long as you don't go over that the psi listed should be fine.

jamoody

Reaction score
If this is your first time towing here are a few extra points to consider:
* Put the tow vehicle into Tow/Haul mode
* Don't use cruise control
* Don't exceed the maximum speed rated by the trailer tires as indicated on the sidewall (probably much lower than the tow vehicle tires) see https://simpletire.com/learn/tire-buying-guides/tire-speed-rating to decode the rating
* It's extra important to keep the trailer tires at specified pressure (they are a different design than vehicle tires and probably at 60 PSI or higher, at low pressure they are susceptible to failure from excessive heat buildup due to sidewall flexing)
* Stick to the speed limit (or lower based on trailer tire rating) to reduce braking distance and reduce trailer sway
* Be extra cautious of braking distance going down hill and on wet pavement
* Use the truck parking area in rest stops
* Park to avoid having to backup
* Watch for left lane exclusions for combination vehicles on highways
* Know your trailer height and watch for low clearance (wires, branches, bridges)

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions - Now that both tow vehicle and trailer are loaded, should tire pressure be adjusted? I checked the tire pressure on the trailer and it is now higher than the "Maximum" listed on the sidewall. Also how do I compensate for temperature? Say, I leave here 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and the temperature at the destination is 98 degrees Fahrenheit (realistic comparison!)

Also, for the tow vehicle, do I inflate tires to maximum PSI as tow vehicle is both loaded with a trailer attached as well?

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Set the tire pressure cold, this means ambient for where you are, before driving. Do not adjust or let tire pressure out when tires are hot, this means on a short stop. Heat will increase the pressure, do not let any out. The higher ambient temp at your destination is not an issue.

It is not a bad idea to stop after a few miles and put your hand on the tires and center hubs, they will be warm. If hub is too hot to touch, there is a problem.

Those trailers don't put more than a couple hundred pounds on the bumper, shouldn't be an issue for your vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrisM2004