Tuner vs. Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thotimus_Prime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe 5.3, I am not very familiar with the Chevy "LS" tuning. I have to get my truck tuned soon to get me electric fans to work properly. If I am going to spend money on a tune or tuner Id like to get my best bang for my buck. For example on my mustang I used a sct tunner and I was able to use it and get my car tuned through that program when ever need be and I had a few tunes saved, also had all kinds of adjustments and stuff I was able to use on the hand held if need be. Is there something like that I can get for the Tahoe so I can continue to tune as need be or have it tuned when i add stuff to the truck. Plan on boosting it soon but just trying to get a good idea of the best tune.IMG_20190401_174604635.jpg

IMG_20190407_154342469.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want a tuner that allows custom tunes to be uploaded to it by a professional and have it datalog so you can send that professional the info detailing how YOUR particular vehicle is running so they can tweak as needed. This is how Black Bear operates via an AutoCal. Another one uses a Diablo tuner (I believe @kbuskill has this one). Don't waste your money on a "canned" tune that comes in those one-size-fits-all handhelds. Sure, they can turn things on and off, raise RPM and speed limiters and tweak shift points. But their "performance" programming is very generic and minimal so it will be safe for all vehicles. You get relatively little in return. You can buy one now just to get by, but when you find you need much more than it will ever do, it'll be money you wish you had put towards the real thing in the first place.

OP
OP
Thotimus_Prime

Thotimus_Prime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You want a tuner that allows custom tunes to be uploaded to it by a professional and have it datalog so you can send that professional the info detailing how YOUR particular vehicle is running so they can tweak as needed. This is how Black Bear operates via an AutoCal. Another one uses a Diablo tuner (I believe @kbuskill has this one). Don't waste your money on a "canned" tune that comes in those one-size-fits-all handhelds. Sure, they can turn things on and off, raise RPM and speed limiters and tweak shift points. But their "performance" programming is very generic and minimal so it will be safe for all vehicles. You get relatively little in return. You can buy one now just to get by, but when you find you need much more than it will ever do, it'll be money you wish you had put towards the real thing in the first place.
So you recommend the black bear?

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Along with many others on here that haven't yet or probably just don't feel the need to chime in.
Yes, this.. Feel free to search, and you will see that blackbear is not only a sponsor, but they are highly recommended by many members.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Absolutely. Along with many others on here that haven't yet or probably just don't feel the need to chime in.

I concur with Dubs assessment... not that there is anything wrong with the Diablo tuner and a custom tune from Diablew... I am very happy with mine... BUT....

If you intend to go FI later the autocal from BBP gives a lot more options.

Grind

Reaction score
Count me in the "haven't yet" crowd. I've only had my Denali for a couple weeks, but after much reading here, BBP is on my short list.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aside from the steep learning curve i say DIY. hptuners is pretty use friendly, a ton of info throughout the forums
after going through several tuners it just gets to the point where no ones as passionate about your ride as yourself. everything cant be figured out in a tune "session", all scenarios, all variable, etc. I am constantly changing and tweaking a year later (partly my fault for changing things). it runs great but you notice something one, two, three times....time to try and fix it

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Bear all day long. It's the very best mod that I've added/done to my vehicle by far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts