Transmission gone... does this rebuild estimate seem fair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ewww, $7k+ for a rebuild on a 6SP 6L80 in a ‘16 Yukon SLT is full blown dealership rate territory.

Unfortunately, not everyone has time to burn on shopping a deal when life’s coming at you with kids, work and weighing in you’ll be in a rental or down to one car.

In the end, all that matters is the job was done right and you’re moving forward again to offset the financial event. Glad you’re up and running again.

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a sample of my recent rebuild I made a post on it a few weeks ago, On top of that I provided the Zip-kit and billet converter. In actuality it was around $4500 total for me. He even did my transfer case fluid change for me as a bonus. 93k miles the trans went out. Took 7 days for the job. Excellent shop too. There are still good trustworthy shops that charge honest prices. You just gotta look around.

IMG_0805.jpeg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a sample of my recent rebuild I made a post on it a few weeks ago, On top of that I provided the Zip-kit and billet converter. In actuality it was around $4500 total for me. He even did my transfer case fluid change for me as a bonus. 93k miles the trans went out. Took 7 days for the job. Excellent shop too. There are still good trustworthy shops that charge honest prices. You just gotta look around.

View attachment 406254
@NickTransmissions

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A coworker asked me for advice on his 2018 Silverado. His transmission went out at like 104k. Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, Texas was highly recommended by the guys at performancetruck.net

I can't recall what he told it cost, but somewhere between $4500 and $5000. They took a while too, but last I heard truck was running better than before. They told him they had like 25 or 30 trucks in their shop with the same exact issues.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does a new transmission show up on Carfax? With all the transmission issues in these I'm surprised I havent seen any replacements on the CF's while shopping for one.

I don’t think replacing a transmission is no different than replacing an A/C condenser etc. It might show up if done at a dealership? But I do t think it would necessarily be frowned upon. Personally I’d look at it as a bonus if I seen that in a used vehicle I was considering.

Phoenix Transmissions is a great transmission builder. I ran one of their units in a TBSS I owned and drove many years ago that was leaps and bounds above the GM OEM unit it replaced.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think replacing a transmission is no different than replacing an A/C condenser etc. It might show up if done at a dealership? But I do t think it would necessarily be frowned upon. Personally I’d look at it as a bonus if I seen that in a used vehicle I was considering.

Phoenix Transmissions is a great transmission builder. I ran one of their units in a TBSS I owned and drove many years ago that was leaps and bounds above the GM OEM unit it replaced.

It seems like it should show up. I might have looked at 50 CF's in my search and didnt see 1 replacement. Definitely could be seen as a plus, especially if there was to still be a warranty on the replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh