Transmission Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonmurphy

Reaction score
The short to your question is YES...rationale is solid.

My real world example is the 68RFE in my RAM 2500 CTD.

When first introduced they were notoriously unreliable. Mine was tuned (as was the engine) from 1300 miles and we added a deeper finned aluminium sump / pan. Have had absolutely ZERO problems with it even though we towed a heavy trailer all over the USA and Canada high mountains (even steep, from dead stops at high ambient temps - 100 deg Donner Summit) for roughly 65K miles. My only gripe about the tuning is the coverter lockup strategy. The tranny tune in my truck locks the converter in 3rd-6th and there were times, particularly when towing in less than ideal weather or offroading where it would be very beneficial to have TC lockup in second gear as well. First gear lockup is just very tough on internal transmission components.

I would make a few changes to your converter strategy. Instead of disabling coverter lockup in lower gears I would enable it in all BUT first gear. It may sound silly but this actually improves thermal gain and clutch pack life since the transmission is not allowed to 'Slip' the clutch pack when the converter is locked.

Ch
Absolutely correct As I mentioned before I've been an automatic transmission guy for years Hot rod, trucks ..Converter Needs to be locked uplocked up over first gear , Add an auxiliary Dual Automotive oil filter In parallel setup and you'll be filtering down to around 2 microns at low pressure of the Trans Cooler lines. Keep your food temperature under 200 * (And you can check this out this out ) Especially especially for your pulling. This Well increase your trans life by a factor of 345 maybe Check with the manufacturers Check with GM on the dangerous Particles at 1 and 2 microns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan