Trans with AWD output?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXLDenali2004

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali XL and I’m having trouble finding the name of the transmission that has the AWD output, as I’m trying to do a filter and fluid change. Does anyone know the name of said trans?

Thank You

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one should be the 4L60E model. It should be a common filter to find. If your trans pan has the nice OEM gasket, just wipe it clean and reuse it. Don't bother with the crappy one that comes in the filter box.

As for the AWD part, it's a full time transfer case. There is no serviceable filter. Just drop the drain plug until empty and fill through the upper plug until it runs out. Done. You should be able to use Dextron 6 in that case I believe.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic for reference. Transmission does NOT determine AWD or 4WD. Its the transfer case that does that. 4wd is typical a NP246E. AWD is typically a Borg Warner unit. The rear of the transfer case will have a circular aluminum tax with maker and model# stamped into it. The tag is silver in color so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Attachments

• 4l60e-shallow-vs-deep-transmission-pan.jpg
    4l60e-shallow-vs-deep-transmission-pan.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
YukonXLDenali2004

YukonXLDenali2004

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pic for reference. Transmission does NOT determine AWD or 4WD. Its the transfer case that does that. 4wd is typical a NP246E. AWD is typically a Borg Warner unit. The rear of the transfer case will have a circular aluminum tax with maker and model# stamped into it. The tag is silver in color so it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Yes I know the difference between the transfer case and a trans. I just wasn’t sure if they used specific trans for a different application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n