Cost of trans fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, he sounds good but I would still want a detailed list of the parts included. Also, I am assuming those prices include R&R of the transmission and does it include flushing the lines and cooler(s)?
Agreed and I always give a breakdown to customers of everything that gets replaced and upgraded but many in the industry don't.

Good call on line flushing and cooler cleaning. My paperwork even includes a big warning about it to all my customers so no one forgets (or claims im at fault when the thing comes back because it grenaded due to cooler/cooler line blockages). If R/R and fluid is an extra grand that's still not too bad, especially compared to the stealership's prices.

OP
OP
W

waterman

Reaction score
IMO, he sounds good but I would still want a detailed list of the parts included. Also, I am assuming those prices include R&R of the transmission and does it include flushing the lines and cooler(s)?
I asked him several times about flushing and using the newer fluid and he said yes

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently lemon lawed my 21 Blazer because the tranny started to shudder at 6200 miles. GM told me it was a known issue during the assembly where too much lube between parts got into the fluid and caused slippage and wear on the torque converter. I noticed the shifts were noticeable, but thought it was normal. Turns out, it was happening on day 1. I got a '23 Tahoe LS in the exchange and I'm going to take it in after 500 miles to have the tranny fluid replaced to prevent any excess lube in the tranny from causing an issue down the road. Call it preventive maintenance.
Test drove a 2020 Traverse that had the shudder so bad I didn't even go a mile. I asked the sales guy how they could even let this thing on the road? He had no answer.....

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone gives me a price for a job I expect the full price. If I go to sign paperwork and you tell me fluid is extra in a transmission change I'm walking out most likely.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If someone gives me a price for a job I expect the full price. If I go to sign paperwork and you tell me fluid is extra in a transmission change I'm walking out most likely.
Exactly. That is why I like a quote/estimate printed out and I can go over, line by line, what I am getting for my money and then I give the go ahead. A shop that is honest and above board, will not hesitate to do that. The vehicle owners vehicles I fix at home, get that treatment here.

OP
OP
W

waterman

Reaction score
Agreed and I always give a breakdown to customers of everything that gets replaced and upgraded but many in the industry don't.

Good call on line flushing and cooler cleaning. My paperwork even includes a big warning about it to all my customers so no one forgets (or claims im at fault when the thing comes back because it grenaded due to cooler/cooler line blockages). If R/R and fluid is an extra grand that's still not too bad, especially compared to the stealership's prices.
Good Evening,

I decided to to use the independent shop do the rebuild. I called and told him I would drop it of tomorrow. There is another shop I just got a great referal. I really would like to get this done and am comfortable with this shop. What I keep thinking about is what if another shop does the flush only and changes the temp sensor and it fixes the problem? Or I can spend the money and it doesn’t fix it.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Evening,

I decided to to use the independent shop do the rebuild. I called and told him I would drop it of tomorrow. There is another shop I just got a great referal. I really would like to get this done and am comfortable with this shop. What I keep thinking about is what if another shop does the flush only and changes the temp sensor and it fixes the problem? Or I can spend the money and it doesn’t fix it.
If the rebuild still doesn't fix the problem (and everything was done correctly, all parts replaced that should be) then the problem is somewhere in the command and control system upstream of the transmission. Your shop will let you know but at this point, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to cross that bridge. The shop should be confirming or denying whether everything upstream of the transmission is working correctly once they have your vehicle to prevent a mis-diagnosis anyway - perhaps when you drop it off, you can inquire as to their approach when it comes to that.

Id also ask for a parts list of everything that's going into the trans while you're there - maybe they'll give you one.

OP
OP
W

waterman

Reaction score
If the rebuild still doesn't fix the problem (and everything was done correctly, all parts replaced that should be) then the problem is somewhere in the command and control system upstream of the transmission. Your shop will let you know but at this point, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to cross that bridge. The shop should be confirming or denying whether everything upstream of the transmission is working correctly once they have your vehicle to prevent a mis-diagnosis anyway - perhaps when you drop it off, you can inquire as to their approach when it comes to that.

Id also ask for a parts list of everything that's going into the trans while you're there - maybe they'll give you one.
I will ask. There is a feeling I have after driving my truck home last night that my trans needed more then a flush. Thank you for your help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Look at it this way. When the job is done, you got a new/rebuilt/reman component in the drivetrain. The next most expensive component is the engine. Plus, the least likely problem is typically the control unit. Thos things are typically rock solid. If it is my shop doing this, we would know where and inspect every related ground for that transmission.

Hodgeee

Reaction score
I stand corrected, the 10 speed is the Ford GM baby, and so far looking worse than the 8 speed problems from a lot of reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019