Cost of trans fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterman

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a2015 Denali with 8 speed 50,000 miles. I am having a problem with trans shifting between 25-35 mph. Brought it to the dealer and they said it needs a temp sensor and they suggested flushing the trans with the new style fluid.

Cost of parts is 580 and labor 1,250.00. I know some of that is diagnosing but isn’t that way to high? I’d appreciate any input. Car is at dealer now.

Thank you,

Lou

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 8 speeds are known to be problematic, I would ask about any special coverage on it.
what they are suggesting may or may resolve your issue.
sorry can't be of much more help on the 8 speed other than a 3rd party shop may be slightly cheaper.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a2015 Denali with 8 speed 50,000 miles. I am having a problem with trans shifting between 25-35 mph. Brought it to the dealer and they said it needs a temp sensor and they suggested flushing the trans with the new style fluid.

Cost of parts is 580 and labor 1,250.00. I know some of that is diagnosing but isn’t that way to high? I’d appreciate any input. Car is at dealer now.

Thank you,

Lou
Hey Lou,

The dealership isnt known as the stealership for nothing, lol. That said, the temp sensor is integral to the wiring harness and the replacement harnesses are all one-piece designs that require valve body removal to change it out. Its a fairly straight forward process, shouldnt take more than an hour, two tops. They also have to replace the vb to case bolts which are torque to yield on those and later transmissions (stupid but is what it is - im sure ARP has replacement bolts available or will soon). Plus a VB to case seal.

My guess is your engine light was on a P0711 was showing and trans thinks its cold when its at op temp so shift compensation adaptations to temp swings were not happening, hence your drivability symptoms.

Always get a quote before turning things over to them or post to let us know about your code/symptoms before taking it anywhere and perhaps we can help you do it yourself next time, saving you some $$$($).

OP
OP
W

waterman

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I noticed last week if I was driving 50 slowed down to 25 then sped up again the transmission will jerk, kind of like driving on rumble strips that are on the side of the road. I also noticed accelerating the same thing would happen 25-45. It may have happened at a higher speed also. I did not see the check engine light come on.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I noticed last week if I was driving 50 slowed down to 25 then sped up again the transmission will jerk, kind of like driving on rumble strips that are on the side of the road. I also noticed accelerating the same thing would happen 25-45. It may have happened at a higher speed also. I did not see the check engine light come on.
That sounds like either torque converter, applied element slippage or perhaps one way clutch partial failure but im not super familiar with the 8 speeds (yet) so it could be a quirk with temp sensor's failure distupting the trans control process, causing one or more clutch packs applying partially out of schedule, temporary tie-ups and flare shifts which can come across like you described.

Also if you want me to see any replies, please quote this post by clicking the "quote" button and then click "insert quotes" to actually imbed it into your reply. Otherwise I wont know if you replied (just happened to notice someone else replied simce by glancing at the thread list)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you,

Lou

Hey Lou,

The dealership isnt known as the stealership for nothing, lol. That said, the temp sensor is integral to the wiring harness and the replacement harnesses are all one-piece designs that require valve body removal to change it out. Its a fairly straight forward process, shouldnt take more than an hour, two tops. They also have to replace the vb to case bolts which are torque to yield on those and later transmissions (stupid but is what it is - im sure ARP has replacement bolts available or will soon). Plus a VB to case seal.

Shop time on a 6L80 to replace the speed sensor on the wiring harness inside the transmission (similar but not exact) is 6.7 hours labor.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shop time on a 6L80 to replace the speed sensor on the wiring harness inside the transmission (similar but not exact) is 6.7 hours labor.
Lol, that's straight up criminal...18 10mm bolts, off comes the pan. 6 inverted torxplus12 bolts and a gate latch - out comes the valve body assembly. Flop it over, two more short 10mm bolts - off comes the speed sensors and harness. Reverse the above with new harness, fill with fluid, run fast adapt relearn. Two hours tops.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, that's straight up criminal...18 10mm bolts, off comes the pan. 6 inverted torxplus12 bolts and a gate latch - out comes the valve body assembly. Flop it over, two more short 10mm bolts - off comes the speed sensors and harness. Reverse the above with new harness, fill with fluid, run fast adapt relearn. Two hours tops.
If it's under warranty they lose 2 hours! LOL

It's one of those gravy train money making repairs. The more efficient techs can do that repair and make a handsome payday on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts