Touchy throttle? OR Heavy foot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sup everyone? hope all are feeling blessed. question here i been noticing since i put my hoe bac on the street i re-did the oil and filter air filter, added Zmax to oil and fuel. The throttle is like extra touchy i pull from lights with lil gas effort and she is revving to 3k or on highway i add little gas the revs shoot up and she's GONE!!!! i kno it aint me i had my boy drive and he says the same thing. for gas I onlu use Sunoco 93 oct... anyone else see this?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Just your touchy foot, I have done everything you do and have had 0 problems.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done what you've done, and sometimes I feel like my throttle is jumpy, too. I don't know if it's this new 6 speed tranny or what, but I sure don't love the tranny.

Can't determine exactly what causes the throttle to be jumpy (and when), but I have noticed it with mine.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem, I tend to lug my motor with my easy foot. My first vehicle with a 6spd so it's a bit getting used to it. It seems to have a short first gear and then a taller second so if I'm just barely on the throttle I can really lug the motor when it shifts. I wish it held 1st longer. I'm consciously getting into the gas a little harder now to make a smoother shift. It's taken a little getting used to on the country back roads. If I shift it down to 4 that seems to help if I'm really behind a super slow driver. Otherwise 30mph in 6th is barely 1k RPMS.

I think the 6spd is great on the highway though. I'm nearly getting 18mpg (17.8) on my 3rd tank.

KMel, I don't think this 6spd is "new" persay. It's a 6L80 and AFAIK it's what has been in Corvettes for a while and has been in Escalades and certain optioned Tahoes/Yukons for the past few years. 09 is just the first year they are putting them in just about all the models.

Here are the drive ratios I found in a Caddy document. It was a couple of years old so not sure if they have changed but it seems about right.

1st Gear Ratio 4.027
2nd Gear Ratio 2.364
3rd Gear Ratio 1.532
4th Gear Ratio 1.152
5th Gear Ratio 0.852
6th Gear Ratio 0.667
Reverse Ratio 3.064

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sno -- I guess I just meant new-to-me-in-a-Tahoe. My '02 Tahoe obviously didn't have this tranny, and it was smoother and more predictable. The power just came on in a predictable way. This tranny, whether it's accelerating or stopping, just doesn't feel good to me.

I'm wondering if a tune would really help the feel of this tranny. I, too, would see if the lower gears could be "extended" to stay in gear longer before shifting. Feels like a big disparity between 1st and everything else.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last two vehicles had 4speed autos so that's what I am used to. The only way I've found to hold 1st longer is to get into the throttle a little quicker off the line instead of slowly easing into it. I think I'm getting better mileage because of it too.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sup everyone? hope all are feeling blessed. question here i been noticing since i put my hoe bac on the street i re-did the oil and filter air filter, added Zmax to oil and fuel. The throttle is like extra touchy i pull from lights with lil gas effort and she is revving to 3k or on highway i add little gas the revs shoot up and she's GONE!!!! i kno it aint me i had my boy drive and he says the same thing. for gas I onlu use Sunoco 93 oct... anyone else see this?

What is your idle like?

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

I have the opposite problem, I tend to lug my motor with my easy foot. My first vehicle with a 6spd so it's a bit getting used to it. It seems to have a short first gear and then a taller second so if I'm just barely on the throttle I can really lug the motor when it shifts. I wish it held 1st longer. I'm consciously getting into the gas a little harder now to make a smoother shift. It's taken a little getting used to on the country back roads. If I shift it down to 4 that seems to help if I'm really behind a super slow driver. Otherwise 30mph in 6th is barely 1k RPMS.

I think the 6spd is great on the highway though. I'm nearly getting 18mpg (17.8) on my 3rd tank.

KMel, I don't think this 6spd is "new" persay. It's a 6L80 and AFAIK it's what has been in Corvettes for a while and has been in Escalades and certain optioned Tahoes/Yukons for the past few years. 09 is just the first year they are putting them in just about all the models.

Here are the drive ratios I found in a Caddy document. It was a couple of years old so not sure if they have changed but it seems about right.

1st Gear Ratio 4.027
2nd Gear Ratio 2.364
3rd Gear Ratio 1.532
4th Gear Ratio 1.152
5th Gear Ratio 0.852
6th Gear Ratio 0.667
Reverse Ratio 3.064

They do drive differently. I have found now problem with my transmission. Every time I pass a Toyota, Dodge or Ford I know I beating them with highway mileage. The 4spd just cannot keep up!

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
What is your idle like?

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

They do drive differently. I have found now problem with my transmission. Every time I pass a Toyota, Dodge or Ford I know I beating them with highway mileage. The 4spd just cannot keep up!

I would expect more MPG from a 6 speed guys. I got 17.7 on my trip from va beach to chicago with my yukon XL 4 speed. Averaging 75 mph the entire way. 6 gears is to much IMO. When I had my sierra denali with the 6.2 and 6 speed I hated the tranny as it hunted for gears way to often. But now that we know about Black bear I think the shifting could be fixed. I only like 6 speeds when their manuals. Autos should have at most 5. And the 5th should be overdrive.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my driving is mixed and I don't even have 1500 miles on it. So far it's matching what my 4Runner did with a v6 & 4spd which is what I at least expected. When I take my vacation next month I'll bet I'll get at least 20 on the highway.

Reaction score
Are you using the on board milage indicator to figure MPG? According to mine I am avg almost 15 MPG mixed driving, and my wife also drives it.(which i am sure is killing my MPG)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attempt22

Latest posts