Revs under braking at low speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big English

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 tahoe just had it in for a tune up last week. Before it went it it was reading a misfire on cylinder 7. work that was done at my local garage was new plugs all round, new coil pack cylinder 7, cleaned the throttle body and a full mobil 1 oil and filter change plus new air filter.

truck runs great but is revving when im braking, as i was slowing down i shifted into neutral and the revs shot up to 2000/2500. Checked all hoses and didnt find anything loose as i thought it may be a vacuum leak.

Any suggestions as i ran the scanner over it and it all came back clear.

Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a new one to me, brakes run off a vacuum line to the intake so there is nothing electronic in regards to the vacuum that I know of. my best guess would be to check your battery and battery cables, a low voltage situation would make the bcm "idle up" the engine to make the alternator create more power, maybe check your voltage with the engine running -vs- engine shut off, and then check it again with the brake pedal depressed (get a helper). maybe there is a short some where. are you having any trouble with starting? low battery warnings? are all the brake lights working? anything else weird going on?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you in have a scan tool that shows you live data for throttle position, intake manifold air pressure, etc? Might be worth seeking what things are showing when you hit the brakes.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like this

did shop clean your throttle body?
but wouldn't that happen if you simply put it in park and let it idle, not just when applying the brakes? kind of makes me wonder if it has something to do with the transmission

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
but wouldn't that happen if you simply put it in park and let it idle, not just when applying the brakes? kind of makes me wonder if it has something to do with the transmission
yes but i’ve also read that when slowing to a stop it revs up... scaring people..

wait yes both... in park at idle and coming to a stop

and they did clean his tb i reread op

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
i was apprehensive cleaning my TB, i did unplug it, removed it and reinstalled with no relearn. How can the ecm/pcm recognize a component R&R with no power to it? unless they litterally applied enough force to affect the wiper/slip ring? i dont get the relearn

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any codes at all? What type of scan tool do you have? The one thought that comes to mind is if they were working on the coil pack for #7, that is in the area of your brake booster and this phenomenon is happening when you are applying the brakes. Have you checked the vacuum line connection at the booster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts