Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As was said, lifters usually tick for a few seconds to a minute or so after startup. If the lifter tick is constant, then that lifter is screwed and is a ticking bomb for your engine.

Often, a ticking exhaust leak changes with temperature and gets worse or better or goes away soon after startup. So they can be difficult to distinguish from each other. An almost surefire way to tell if it's the exhaust is to snap the throttle hard open for a split second (but not enough to actually rev the engine high while cold!) right after startup (if it ticks long enough) and see if the leaking exhaust gets louder or otherwise changes any in correlation to the rev.

Also, next time you go to install new exhaust gaskets, cut the bottoms of the outermost bolt holes so they're hooks, like in this pic:

FEL-1415_xl.jpg

You remove all but the outer bolts and have them backed almost all the way out so that they hold the headers in location, then slip the new gasket into place between the flange and head with the "hooks" resting on the two bolts. Put the other bolts in place and tighten them all up evenly in the specified torque sequence.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you notice, the Remtek's center holes aren't elongated like your others so the new ones might not be either. Our motors have offset bolts in the center so you need to pay attention which way the gaskets need to be turned in order to line up the holes in the gaskets. Here's a pic of mine but I'm not sure which side this is, I think it's passenger. The right bolt is higher than the left.

IMG_6789.JPG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you notice, the Remtek's center holes aren't elongated like your others so the new ones might not be either. Our motors have offset bolts in the center so you need to pay attention which way the gaskets need to be turned in order to line up the holes in the gaskets. Here's a pic of mine but I'm not sure which side this is, I think it's passenger. The right bolt is higher than the left.

View attachment 200378
Duh that is the passenger side.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
They only go on one way so you must have had then turned around wrong. Those old gaskets were leaking almost everywhere it looks to me. Why didn't you just go to the auto parts store and get a new set instead of putting the old ones back on? Once they're crushed once that's it. They're not reusable. Sorry for that bad news. Man that sucks. At least you have practice now.
Funny, until recently I never heard any kind of leak--granted it's my gf's dd. She's actually the one that noticed the leak and told me about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilflip

Latest posts