Tires that don’t suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ‘15 Denali XL with OEM 22” wheels when the factory Bridgestones needed replaced I went with the Michelin Defenders in stock sizes 285/45/22. Mostly based on the feedback/reviews found on tirerack.com and this forum here.

Right away I noticed an improvement in the ride quality and smoothness. Was really quite shocked at how much of an improvement just replacing the tires had on the overall ride quality. I do a lot of highway driving year round. The Defenders have proven to be a great tire in any weather condition.

When these are due for replacement I will be getting another set.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM continental 20’s and at 30k miles have become dangerous in the rain. I like the ride quality but they just don’t wear all that well. I am currently looking for a replacement and will considered the Michilen Defenders. What is the life expectancy of the defenders? I remember I had Michelin’s on my wife’s Envoy and got 55k before they needed replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM continental 20’s and at 30k miles have become dangerous in the rain. I like the ride quality but they just don’t wear all that well. I am currently looking for a replacement and will considered the Michilen Defenders. What is the life expectancy of the defenders? I remember I had Michelin’s on my wife’s Envoy and got 55k before they needed replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60K easy, most in the 70s and 80s, some break 100K according to the reviewers on TireRack with our GM Wagons.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin Defender LTX is the best option for a smooth ride and longevity. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to tires. Do NOT get the Premier LTX, they are far too soft to be on a full size (and I don't mean soft as in they'll ride great, I mean soft as in they'll wear out in 25k miles).

This is likely not what you're after but, in general, that's the price you pay for 'style'. These current large diameter wheels [your 22s] make trucks ride rougher than older, smaller sizes [my 16s].

Tire sidewalls act as shocks, and I have more sidewall than you do.

Any differences in tire construction would sit on that wheel size foundation.

joe

Less sidewall also helps handling and feel because there isn't as much to flex when turning which is very noticeable on a big heavy truck.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be buying a set of Michelin Premier's in a month or two (just before the snow flies) to replace the OEM Bridgestone's. I don't hate the Bridgestones, but don't love them either.

Richard Buckley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree-The 22's just ride tough. Split the difference and go to 20's. My Yukon XL rides very nice on them.

Notorious Big T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a ‘15 Denali XL with OEM 22” wheels when the factory Bridgestones needed replaced I went with the Michelin Defenders in stock sizes 285/45/22. Mostly based on the feedback/reviews found on tirerack.com and this forum here.

Right away I noticed an improvement in the ride quality and smoothness. Was really quite shocked at how much of an improvement just replacing the tires had on the overall ride quality. I do a lot of highway driving year round. The Defenders have proven to be a great tire in any weather condition.

When these are due for replacement I will be getting another set.
Sme here, have 35k miles on them, still look like new, replaced oem Continentals at 40k when they were scary to drive! Love these tires, also have th 20"

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Pull out all the stops. Consider a road force balance to verify the health of the rims and potential blems in the tires.

If all checks out, verify the health of your struts. Run the diagnostic program to eliminate that you don’t have a locked up strut(s).

Having both completed will reveal a cause that’s inherent to the rim, tire, both or neither. If neither is the case it’s time to look into a 20” wheel tire package. The way around all the diagnostic work is to swap out a buddy’s 20” set up on your truck and let the seat of your pants determine things.

The 20’s on my past 08 Denali XL AWD had an amazing ride in 14. Around 2020 I had a speed specific wobble I was chasing down to be a potential out of balance drive shaft. The 22’s on our current 09 Escalade ESV AWD Platinum ride horrible only because I know all four corners are due for new Z95 struts @ 138K miles. I can’t judge the ride of the 22’s until the Arnott’s go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

38JMD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

the stock tires on my 2016 Denali are done. I have the 22 inch wheels so it’s been a rough ride since day one. Any suggestions or recommendations for tires that could produce a better ride? I know I’m limited due to the rim size but just want something better than stock.

thanks

I just replaced my 22's with OEM GMC 20's. I found them on my local facebook marketplace. I bought the new tires from ebay, and a local shop did the mount and balancing. The ride is way better, and since I bought factory wheels, the sensors came with them. I did have to purchase a 11$ reprogramming tool from amazon to get those sensors to talk to my Yukon but I carefully repacked the tool and returned it.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did have to purchase a 11$ reprogramming tool from amazon to get those sensors to talk to my Yukon but I carefully repacked the tool and returned it.

I have to chuckle at this. You just spent all the money for new wheels and tires and you returned an $11 tool. Not criticizing. It just made me chuckle. I recently bought a reprogramming tool from Amazon, just to have it on hand in case I needed it for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts