Ticking/Tapping noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ag21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drive a 2006 chevy Tahoe 5.3 V8, currently, it has 314,526 miles. It has this ticking or tapping noise... and I put some marvel mystery oil and it actually helped it! But I want to know what the root cause is! I've read it has something to do with the oil O ring pickup tube! But I do not have low oil pressure... but I do have a small oil leak!
Should I just take it to the dealer?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2006 chevy Tahoe 5.3 V8, currently, it has 314,526 miles. It has this ticking or tapping noise... and I put some marvel mystery oil and it actually helped it! But I want to know what the root cause is! I've read it has something to do with the oil O ring pickup tube! But I do not have low oil pressure... but I do have a small oil leak!
As the oring cannot seal the joint, the pump begins to suck in a little air and the air gets circulated into the oil galleries...If you raise the oil level a bit, the pump may not suck the air as much. The crankcase operates in a lightly negative pressure and that make matter worse. Replacing the oring is the solution. Keep the static oil level a bit higher than the operating range.

OP
OP
A

ag21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As the oring cannot seal the joint, the pump begins to suck in a little air and the air gets circulated into the oil galleries...If you raise the oil level a bit, the pump may not suck the air as much. The crankcase operates in a lightly negative pressure and that make matter worse. Replacing the oring is the solution. Keep the static oil level a bit higher than the operating range.
Thank you so much! I will get it replaced! Can you give a guesstimate on how much it will cost to replace it? Should I just get it done at the dealership?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing several items while they are removed may in order. Timing chain gaskets, chain set,oring,seal, water pump, oil pan gasket set will cost around 325 plus tax, wholesale, probably twice that much at dealer prices. No idea on labor, probably need to get several estimates.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With no other history on a 315k miles engine, we are just guessing. That ticking/tapping noise could be a lifter or more wearing out and bleeding off pressure and making the noise. You could do all the work that has been discussed and not fix the noise. Read thru the many threads here about what I am talking about.

Welcome to the forum and good job getting that engine over 300k miles.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you dont have low or no oil pressure the o ring is not your issue. post a vid of said tapping, can be a huge help id'ing the tap. id suspect a lifter going bad if it goes away after a minute or two on start up, its just pumping up due bleeding off pressure when it sits. or if its a cold start knocking sound would be piston slap. once gain it goes away after a couple minutes of warm up time. i only hear the piston slap bs when its pretty cold out.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With no other history on a 315k miles engine, we are just guessing. That ticking/tapping noise could be a lifter or more wearing out and bleeding off pressure and making the noise. You could do all the work that has been discussed and not fix the noise. Read thru the many threads here about what I am talking about.

Welcome to the forum and good job getting that engine over 300k miles.
Agreed. I'm leaning towards o-ring being degraded and cracked. Also to boot, I'm speculating that 325K of use has lead to some carbon/varnish buildup. Since MMO seemed to help, try running a 1/2 quart of ATF the last 500 - 1000 miles of the oil change and drop it at 3k. Rinse and repeat if noise seems to improve. There was a thread awhile back where a guy in your situation did this process and had good luck.(I'm ignorant on finding old threads, but will post if I can find it)

If no improvement, then you need parts replaced. Not sure if you put on all 325K. If you did, then you know what maintenance schedule you followed for LOF. If not, then extrapolate the miles you bought at and the maintenance you've done and go from there. I've seen many old school 5.3L go 400k without any major problems with good maintenance. The first gen 5.3L were almost indestructible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17