Thoughts on upgrading my 20" rims to 22" What tires do you like/dis-like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O lol ok, umm last time I checked you can't put a 20" tire on a 17" wheel or vica-versa
No... but You can run a tire with the exact same diameter.

A 32" tall tire is a 32" tall tire no matter whether its mounted on a 15" rim or a 24" rim.

The tires on my caddilac oem 20s are the same size as the tires on my old oem denali 17s.

The only significant difference is the sidewall.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No... but You can run a tire with the exact same diameter.

A 32" tall tire is a 32" tall tire no matter whether its mounted on a 15" rim or a 24" rim.

The tires on my caddilac oem 20s are the same size as the tires on my old oem denali 17s.

The only significant difference is the sidewall.
unless you are purposely selecting a tire size to match the old outer circumference then you end up with different revolutions per mile
so just because a 275/55/r17 & 275/55/r20 are the same tire size means nothing the rev's per mile are different

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you are purposely selecting a tire size to match the old outer circumference then you end up with different revolutions per mile
so just because a 275/55/r17 & 275/55/r20 are the same tire size means nothing the rev's per mile are different
They are not though. 275.55.20 will be much bigger than 275.55.17 because of the diameter. You'd want a smaller sidewall to make it the same diameter

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I understand how metric tire measurements work.

Tread width/aspect ratio r wheel size...

If you select a tire with the same circumference then the rim size doesnt matter.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not though. 275.55.20 will be much bigger than 275.55.17 because of the diameter. You'd want a smaller sidewall to make it the same diameter
I'm just saying when you calculate out the revolutions per mile they end up different unless the outer diameter (circumference) is the same, typically switching from a 17 to a 20 you get 2-3 mph difference, going to a 24" you about 5mph difference, your speedo will say 55 but your really going 60. I would imagine you could calculate out a specific size to make up for that but it may not fit.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just saying when you calculate out the revolutions per mile they end up different unless the outer diameter is the same, typically switching from a 17 to a 20 you get 2-3 mph difference, going to a 24" you about 5mph difference, your speedo will say 55 but your really going 60. I would imagine you could calculate out a specific size to make up for that but it may not fit.
Again... Ignore the wheel size as it is irrelevant. The overall tire size is all that matters when calculating mph.

You are making generalizations that are sometimes true but often incorrect. Why do that? If you only consider the tire size you'll always be correct.

The tires on my jeep with 18" rims are bigger than the tires on my escalade with 20" rims.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again... Ignore the wheel size as it is irrelevant. The overall tire size is all that matters when calculating mph.

You are making generalizations that are sometimes true but often incorrect. Why do that? If you only consider the tire size you'll always be correct.

The tires on my jeep with 18" rims are bigger than the tires on my escalade with 20" rims.
exactly the tires are bigger, for instance I run a 275/55/r20 on my yukon, if I try to put a 275/55/r22 on my Silverado I end up with no sidewall for protection so I run a 305, it rubs a little but I have sidewall, you can only go so big or wide unless you are lifting the body, run a offset, etc.
bottom line is I don't know what the hell i'm talking about :rotflmao:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly the tires are bigger, for instance I run a 275/55/r20 on my yukon, if I try to put a 275/55/r22 on my Silverado I end up with no sidewall for protection so I run a 305, it rubs a little but I have sidewall, you can only go so big or wide unless you are lifting the body, run a offset, etc.
bottom line is I don't know what the hell i'm talking about :rotflmao:
305/40r22 is essentially the same diameter as a 275/55r20 just wider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrjhernandez1973