Thinking about replacing windshield myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a huge favor and leave it to a professional. If done wrong you can have wind noise and water leaks or it could even separate from the truck if not prepped correctly.

I wouldn’t recommend Safelite’s brand of glass, it isn’t very good quality. I only use Pilkington as I’ve been told by multiple glass guys that they’re the best outside of OEM. And my experience with other brands hasn’t been that great, they chip easier and the wipers don’t work as well even though I only use OE wipers.

I always use local guys with good reputations. I’ve never paid more than $200 for a windshield that didn’t have something like Rainsense or HUD.

If I were to go to the salvage yard and remove an OEM windshield ( to get quality glass ), would any shop install it instead of their ( maybe inferior ) windshield ?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were to go to the salvage yard and remove an OEM windshield ( to get quality glass ), would any shop install it instead of their ( maybe inferior ) windshield ?
No. Not a chance. And I could name several reasons why but not gonna waste my time. Besides why would you want to waste your money on a used windshield that’s probably pitted and possibly has damage you can’t see until the sun hits it right? Any company that’s not a fly-by-night outfit will only sell quality glass. They don’t want dissatisfied customers demanding they replace a crappy windshield. They won’t be in business long doing that. Just look at their reviews. Don’t waste money on a used windshield. Also, all new windshields are AS-1 certified, the same thickness as OEM, and in no way are there different densities or harness to resist chipping or pitting regardless of what has been said. The only quality differences will show in possible viewing defects like waviness or possible fitment issues which will show up initially.

Last edited:

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right.. I'm told they use crappy glass(on my company car)... thats why it's cheap.
I went to a proper glass place(for MY truck) and had a better grade of glass installed... I was surprised that i could tell the difference.

Once again... you get what you(or the insurance company) pay for.

P71toZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your local glass shop should have access to multiple brands. You can call them and ask which ones they carry, and even request a specific brand. Pilkington, PPG, and AP Tech were recommended as better manufacturers the last time I really researched the topic. FY was not highly regarded.

Decide if you want the blue shade across the top and make sure to tell the glass shop before they order it. It's something I didn't realize I took for granted until I drove a Tahoe without it.

You can always look up the DOT number on the glass to determine the manufacturer if it lacks an obvious logo.

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zero deductible on glass through insurance, not sure what year but local auto glass place near me quoted $200 to replace mine in my 01

UMDSmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Safelite glass isn't inferior quality, but safelite bought old molds, which tend to be warped after the OEM company used them forever. Safelite glass tends to have far more distortions, but I never noticed a thickness difference between PPG, OEM, Pilkington, or safelite. Honestly, go OEM if you can.