That annoying horn chirp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done it at the car wash a couple times...but, I think that has to do with the fact that they open the driver door to let me out, I get out w/ the fob in my pocket, and they never actually close the driver door. They finish drying it, and signal me to come back and get in. I do, and shut the driver door...so in this case maybe the vehicle thinks I left the fob in the car.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Found that article, has a point you might want to check:
Replace Fob Battery
Or, maybe one of the door sensors isn't actually working...

If you can dial in the sequence that causes it most frequently, a trip to the dealer to show them may be helpful.

Here is another thread over on gm-trucks forum seemingly complaining about the same thing:

The one that is most annoying to me is the "Fob left the vehicle" when running alert...since I often leave my truck running when hooking up my boat, or launching or retrieving it at the ramp.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you close the door while filling up? i fueled up earlier today and fob in pocket and closed door and it never chirped.

OP
OP
T

tgilwright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once again, this problem is intermittent and unpredictable. According to the manual the three chirps occur if 1) the car is running and the fob is moved outside the car and the doors are closed, 2) the fob is left inside the car when not running and the doors are closed, 3) the car is tampered with while the alarm is active and the driver pushes a button on the fob (which button I can't recall) to determine if there has been activity while alarmed. We're not talking about chimes, but rather horn chirps. In my case, the fob is always in my pocket and the car is not running when the chirping occurs. It is either when I get into the car and close the door or when I get out of the car and close the door. Pretty simple. The dealer tells me it works as designed because it won't act up when it's in the shop. I understand perfectly that if it doesn't present symptoms the techs can troubleshoot it. It will be chirpless for three days and then start chirping every other time I get in or out for the next two days. The really fun thing is that my dealer's service manager is starting to experience the same thing with his '22 Silverado. And my wife's '22 Buick Enclave is starting to act the same way, occasionally. It seems to me that if it was acting normally it would be consistent, not intermittent. I think I'll replace the battery in the fob tomorrow and try it for a week to see if that makes any difference, but it checks out as healthy on a voltmeter.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thought. Try unhooking the neg battery cable for 5 min and reconnecting. Maybe it needs the ole <CNTL><ALT><DEL>.

I do think there must be some software related isssue here…Totally understand it’s not chimes.

Perhaps ask the dealer for the latest BCM calibration to be installed and update the infotainment unit? Mine has chirped a coulple times when I didn’t think it made sense…but yours seems a bit more intermittently often.

Good luck man! Not trying to be annoying…just tryin to narrow down what causes it.

OP
OP
T

tgilwright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that one fix would be to introduce 12,000 volts to the auxilliary outlet in the console, but I don't think the warranty would cover the ensuing fire. Then again.........

OP
OP
T

tgilwright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We've already seen the aftermarket fix for the start/stop function. I hope someone comes up with an incredibly profitable reprogramming fix for these vehicles that allows us to kill some of these alerts/alarms as well as allowing us to select music from our USB drives while driving alone. I know I'd pay up for such a mod. I love the ride and most other attributes of this vehicle, but I'm starting to seriously miss my 2011 Suburban. If the lifter issue ever raises it's ugly head here I'll be a basket case. Never should have quit drinking!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've already seen the aftermarket fix for the start/stop function. I hope someone comes up with an incredibly profitable reprogramming fix for these vehicles that allows us to kill some of these alerts/alarms as well as allowing us to select music from our USB drives while driving alone. I know I'd pay up for such a mod. I love the ride and most other attributes of this vehicle, but I'm starting to seriously miss my 2011 Suburban. If the lifter issue ever raises it's ugly head here I'll be a basket case. Never should have quit drinking!
I think the key is to embrace the quirks.

98% of the time, I am thrilled w/ my Denali. 2% of the time it does some odd things, but most of them are quirks vs. affecting major function. Agree, the horn chirping is annoying...there are some annoying software issues, I keep watching and looking for updates (NHTSA web site is a good place to do this), and asking that they get applied when I go for service.

But, there are definitely times where the infotainment system bugs out...doesn't show a screen, has low performance, doesn't connect to my phone, etc. It is guaranteed its a software issue.

I was thinking, during this crazy supply shortage, the GM had to be trying to find ways to keep the builds going, and this could include qualifying 2nd or 3rd suppliers for some of these modules. Possibly they are slightly different, and cause some software anomalies...consider the DRL/Headlight issue and sensor...turns out that was a software fix, but probably tied to 2 different sensor suppliers...

I was watching a you tube the other day from a Marine mechanic, where he listed the 10 worst outboards, and #4 on his list was "CoVID motors -- thats right, any motor built during the pandemic." Makes a guy think.

Net, just try to enjoy your ride for what it is...a pretty dang sweet vehicle, with a few quirks to give it personality...its like the pretty girl w/ a beauty mark or two.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 so our infotainment systems are nothing alike - however I do have the "remote left in vehicle" horn chirp disabled as well as the "check rear seat" alert which is there to remind you if you've opened the rear door before opening the driver door and haven't opened the rear door when leaving your vehicle, for the absent minded parents who leave their kids in the car. Every once in a super rare blue moon when I get in the vehicle and shut the door I too will hear that "remote left in vehicle" horn chirp. I have no clue why, I just assume it's a bug!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo