Belt chirp…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draper11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Love this old thing. But this belt is maddening. In the past 12 months I have replaced water pump, alternator, belt, tensioner, and idler.

I wiped all pulleys clean, including filing down the tooling lines in the tensioner grooves.

Spraying soapy water or wd40 around idler pulley quiets it all down for a second.

Still can’t get rid of the chirp. Had a motor mount fail, not sure if that knocked my harmonic balancer out of alignment or what. My water pump pulley seems to have a wobble but not sure if that is due to undue tension somewhere else. I guess I will have to get the dealership to look at.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this old thing. But this belt is maddening. In the past 12 months I have replaced water pump, alternator, belt, tensioner, and idler.

I wiped all pulleys clean, including filing down the tooling lines in the tensioner grooves.

Spraying soapy water or wd40 around idler pulley quiets it all down for a second.

Still can’t get rid of the chirp. Had a motor mount fail, not sure if that knocked my harmonic balancer out of alignment or what. My water pump pulley seems to have a wobble but not sure if that is due to undue tension somewhere else. I guess I will have to get the dealership to look at.
what year is it?
what about the ac belt? it either has a tensioner also or is stretch belt, if it is tensioner you can get the stretch belt and dump the tensioner which can be prone to making noise

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crankshaft pulley/balancers on these engines need replacing when they get old. They are 2 parts, inner and outer, held together by rubber that gets old.
pulley balancer < $100
seal <$10
bolt<$20
rent /borrow the removal & installation tools from the autoparts store

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the water pump have a painted pulley, or clean metal finish where the belt rides? Seen tons of these in the generator world with noisy belts and I narrowed it down to paint on the pulley causing the belt to slip.

If that's the case, remove belt and emery cloth the pulley to bare metal where the belt rides and that will prevent slippage and noise.

If that's not the case, then I'd look at pulley alignment with a good straight edge to make sure it's not being pulled sideways on one pulley or another. Also, spin idler and tensioner pulleys by hand with the belt off and listen for noise.

OP
OP
D

draper11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
crankshaft pulley/balancers on these engines need replacing when they get old. They are 2 parts, inner and outer, held together by rubber that gets old.
pulley balancer < $100
seal <$10
bolt<$20
rent /borrow the removal & installation tools from the autoparts store
10-4. I will look at that next… Funny thing- I did pull out on the tensioner with the engine running and the squeal goes away. Perhaps there is not enough tension. Also, adding bar soap to groove side quiets it down completely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

draper11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the water pump have a painted pulley, or clean metal finish where the belt rides? Seen tons of these in the generator world with noisy belts and I narrowed it down to paint on the pulley causing the belt to slip.

If that's the case, remove belt and emery cloth the pulley to bare metal where the belt rides and that will prevent slippage and noise.

If that's not the case, then I'd look at pulley alignment with a good straight edge to make sure it's not being pulled sideways on one pulley or another. Also, spin idler and tensioner pulleys by hand with the belt off and listen for noise.
The water pump edge is bare metal- but t
what year is it?
what about the ac belt? it either has a tensioner also or is stretch belt, if it is tensioner you can get the stretch belt and dump the tensioner which can be prone to making noise
it is a 2011. I also changed out the ac belt two months ago. No tensioner on AC on this model.

OP
OP
D

draper11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Water pump pulley edge is bare metal. Definitely a lip where paint meets metal. I added tension to belt while running and squeal stops. Also rubbed soap on grooved side stops the noise.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it stops when you apply more tension to the tensioner and haven't replaced it. it's worth a try, or they sell manual ones for the race cars running high rpm that like to throw belts on shifts. could put one of those on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10