2023 Tahoe Premier battery issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RK Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you tried locking the doors when in the garage (like when parked outside)?
Here is a link to the 3rd row seat issue. They may have checked that connection but I bet something is keeping the BCM from going to sleep.
Update! They found the battery draw in the lift gate module. They have replaced the module and it appears to have solved the problem. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the help!

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our Tahoe is older but I accidentally left the rear hatch ajar one night on vacation and the next morning the battery was dead.
It was hard to believe that the dome lights could kill the battery overnight.

cptnjamesmisson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have actually had this same exact problem since November. Your story sounds identical to mine in every respect.

2021 Tahoe Premier, 61K miles.

Battery constantly dead and in need of jumps. Put a new battery in, same issue on repeat.

Car has been to dealership 2x now and they can't locate an issue - car works fine when there, no battery drain.

Get it back to our house and it sits overnight and is dead the next day, but only when we put it in the garage. If it sits in the driveway or in the street overnight car will properly turn over the next day and battery does not die immediately, but based on multi-meter readings and drops in battery voltage, there still appears to be at least some draw, though obviously not as pronounced as when in the garage.

Have tried everything to pinpoint/rectify issue - had a StateFarm Safe Driving beacon in Tahoe along with app on phone, removed both; removed garage door opener from car, left in house w/o batteries; left both key fobs in house away from vehicle; un-plugged garage door opener; did a fuse pull to measure amp reduction across difference fuses (only fuse that registered a drop was engine control module (ECM) and draw went to ~0.3 from 1.5 amps, but is this even relevant??) - but can't figure anything out.

Last night / this morning is the most recent example of the vehicle being fine when it went into the garage but dead upon waking up. It was the first time I left the vehicle in the garage and also unplugged the garage door opener. Still no luck.

Strangely, I received an email from OnStar for the first time last night at ~11:30P (car went into garage at 7P) that the battery was critically low. Despite all the previous drains this was the first email from OnStar I had received.

I really don't know what to do at this point other than trying to remove various potential fuses that control power to different electronic modules with the hope that one of those fuses properlly powers something down that is otherwise stuck in "awake" mode and constantly draining.

But, lots of fuses and who the hell knows where to start? @RKSmith issue being power liftgate would never have been the place where I would have started, so seems like it'd be a needle-in-haystack exercise in futility as I probably would have began with OnStar or something like that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have actually had this same exact problem since November. Your story sounds identical to mine in every respect.

Battery constantly dead and in need of jumps. Put a new battery in, same issue on repeat.

Car has been to dealership 2x now and they can't locate an issue - car works fine when there, no battery drain.

Get it back to our house and it sits overnight and is dead the next day, but only when we put it in the garage. If it sits in the driveway or in the street overnight car will properly turn over the next day and battery does not die immediately, but based on multi-meter readings and drops in battery voltage, there still appears to be at least some draw, though obviously not as pronounced as when in the garage.

Have tried everything to pinpoint/rectify issue - had a StateFarm Safe Driving beacon in Tahoe along with app on phone, removed both; removed garage door opener from car, left in house w/o batteries; left both key fobs in house away from vehicle; un-plugged garage door opener; did a fuse pull to measure amp reduction across difference fuses (only fuse that registered a drop was engine control module (ECM) and draw went to ~0.3 from 1.5 amps, but is this even relevant??) - but can't figure anything out.

Last night / this morning is the most recent example of the vehicle being fine when it went into the garage but dead upon waking up. It was the first time I left the vehicle in the garage and also unplugged the garage door opener. Still no luck.

Strangely, I received an email from OnStar for the first time last night at ~11:30P (car went into garage at 7P) that the battery was critically low. Despite all the previous drains this was the first email from OnStar I had received.

I really don't know what to do at this point other than trying to remove various potential fuses that control power to different electronic modules with the hope that one of those fuses properlly powers something down that is otherwise stuck in "awake" mode and constantly draining.

But, lots of fuses and who the hell knows where to start? @RKSmith issue being power liftgate would never have been the place where I would have started, so seems like it'd be a needle-in-haystack exercise in futility as I probably would have began with OnStar or something like that.

And fuses, we got fuses. You ride probably has fuses at your neighbors house. And let’s spread them all around the ride too. I think it’s grand to have fuses at the opposite end of the vehicle away from what they protect.

OP
OP
R

RK Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

And fuses, we got fuses. You ride probably has fuses at your neighbors house. And let’s spread them all around the ride too. I think it’s grand to have fuses at the opposite end of the vehicle away from what they protect.
Yes, your problem sounds identical to mine. I felt like I was losing my mind and that the dealership thought I was crazy. So, here’s what changed for me. I took it back to them a fifth time and ask to speak to the head technician in the garage. I told him everything that I had done and the battery was still draining. He asked if I could leave it for more than 2 days, which was my usual time. On day 4, my battery died on them. FINALLY! It was hooked up to a computer which recognized the drain but couldn’t pinpoint the location because the clamps from the computer failed. As soon as they replaced the clamps they found the problem immediately. So, you are not crazy. There is something draining your battery and it has nothing to do with your garage or house. They need to hook it up to a computer and let it set for as long as you can leave it. It will eventually show up if the computer and clamps are working properly. Good luck!!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, your problem sounds identical to mine. I felt like I was losing my mind and that the dealership thought I was crazy. So, here’s what changed for me. I took it back to them a fifth time and ask to speak to the head technician in the garage. I told him everything that I had done and the battery was still draining. He asked if I could leave it for more than 2 days, which was my usual time. On day 4, my battery died on them. FINALLY! It was hooked up to a computer which recognized the drain but couldn’t pinpoint the location because the clamps from the computer failed. As soon as they replaced the clamps they found the problem immediately. So, you are not crazy. There is something draining your battery and it has nothing to do with your garage or house. They need to hook it up to a computer and let it set for as long as you can leave it. It will eventually show up if the computer and clamps are working properly. Good luck!!

So what caused it? Surely they gave you a receipt with the cause. (?)

OP
OP
R

RK Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One more thing I noticed that may help you. We have a dog so I would go out the garage, walking by my car. I noticed that the lift gate Chevrolet light wound come on. My car was locked and I didn’t have a key with me. It was waking up when I walked by and not going back to sleep. Maybe something is waking up if you walk by after parking it in the garage. Just an idea. Hope they find what’s going on because I know how frustrating this is for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts