2023 Tahoe Premier battery issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptnjamesmisson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate the insights.

Last night I pulled the power liftgate fuse in the cargo hold area. Dead batter this morning, so not that.

In addition, there is now a power steering error message and power steering is completely shot, making the vehicle, finally, completely inoperable from what I can tell.

OP
OP
R

RK Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate the insights.

Last night I pulled the power liftgate fuse in the cargo hold area. Dead batter this morning, so not that.

In addition, there is now a power steering error message and power steering is completely shot, making the vehicle, finally, completely inoperable from what I can tell.
I would get a power steering error after the battery was completely dead. After I jumped it off and let it recharge, the error would go away. It usually took me turning off the car and letting it sit for at least 30 minutes for the error to go away. I don’t think your power steering is shot. It just didn’t have power so the computer shuts down everything to conserve the battery. My brakes would do the same thing. Sorry it wasn’t the lift gate. Can you leave it at the dealership for a few days so that they can hook it up to a computer?

cptnjamesmisson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You were correct RK - power steering did ultimately return.

It's been at the dealership for two days.

They initially suggested they found a draw, but today they said the car is working just fine. I suspect the initial draw they found was because the car was not fully asleep when they ran the draw test.

So, at this point I'm where I was with the first dealership - can't find a drain or the source of the issue.

Has to be some interplay b/t something at my house and some bad component on the vehicle. Crazy situation.

OP
OP
R

RK Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ugh! I’m so sorry. I honestly do not think it’s your house/garage. There’s something that is waking up and not going back to sleep that is draining your battery. It may be waking up because someone is walking by your car to wake it up. My car was at the dealership for three or four days before it died. It was there a full two weeks before they found it. I was so frustrated that I told them I didn’t want it back until they figured out the problem. If you can leave it longer than a few days, I think they will find it. Again, I’m sorry as I know first hand how frustrating this is for you. Good luck and let me know if they find it.

cptnjamesmisson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think they've found something.

The dealership consulted with GM mother-ship engineering/tech and they believe it's the battery control module that is keeping the radio awake at all times.

OP
OP
R

RK Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s great!! I hope that fixes the problem! Let me know if it works.

cptnjamesmisson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Actually, problem not fixed. Brought car back to the house, lived one night without a dead battery next morning, but this morning battery was dead again.

OP
OP
R

RK Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Actually, problem not fixed. Brought car back to the house, lived one night without a dead battery next morning, but this morning battery was dead again.
Ugh!!!! I was really hoping that was the problem! Does the dealership have any other ideas about the battery issue? I still think they will need to keep it for more than a few days to find the problem. Hope you get answers soon!

ssphelpss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to this forum. I am hoping someone can help me. I have a new 2023 Tahoe with less than 3000 miles. The battery keeps going dead. The dealership cannot find anything wrong with it. It’s been there three times and everything checks out. So, it seems that there is something at my house that is draining the battery. I park in a garage. I have moved my key fob to the other side of the house. When I walk by it to take my dog out it seems to wake up and makes a buzzing noise. I am at a complete loss as to what is going on. This is my 6th Tahoe and I have never had a problem with the battery draining. I drive it most every day so it’s not sitting unused. Does anyone have any ideas?
My sister is having the same exact problem. Her battery was dead this morning for a third time. Did you ever figure it out?

ssphelpss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, your problem sounds identical to mine. I felt like I was losing my mind and that the dealership thought I was crazy. So, here’s what changed for me. I took it back to them a fifth time and ask to speak to the head technician in the garage. I told him everything that I had done and the battery was still draining. He asked if I could leave it for more than 2 days, which was my usual time. On day 4, my battery died on them. FINALLY! It was hooked up to a computer which recognized the drain but couldn’t pinpoint the location because the clamps from the computer failed. As soon as they replaced the clamps they found the problem immediately. So, you are not crazy. There is something draining your battery and it has nothing to do with your garage or house. They need to hook it up to a computer and let it set for as long as you can leave it. It will eventually show up if the computer and clamps are working properly. Good luck!!
so what had to be replaced on yours? My sister is having the same issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts