Tell me why I need a Tech 2.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing about having a good advanced-feature tool is that we get to learn and test how things work, not just reset codes or view data pids. The more I understand about how my truck works, or doesn't, the better off I am. The Tech 2 is not the latest and greatest at this point in time, but is certainly an adequate tool for these trucks.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing about having a good advanced-feature tool is that we get to learn and test how things work, not just reset codes or view data pids. The more I understand about how my truck works, or doesn't, the better off I am. The Tech 2 is not the latest and greatest at this point in time, but is certainly an adequate tool for these trucks.

Totally agree. If you are a DIYer (at this point I am just a mild DYIer, leaving the heavy lifting to younger techs), owning one of these trucks without a Tech 2 is definitely tying one hand behind your back.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tis2000 craps out after xp 32bit, so unless you have a dedicated older computer/laptop or run a xp shell (which is slow as ****) then it's not really worth messing with. I suppose there is a need for certain people but unless you have to use it I wouldn't bother. If you do have to use it I would recommend a older pc with max memory and a ssd hard drive, stock windows xp 32bit, has to have a serial port or usb support for a usb to serial adapter. It's probably going to need service pack 2 as well. tis2000 normally needs a dongle but the crack file fixes that.
Good to know thanks for the info! I really have no desire or time currently to run it all on a separate laptop. Lol

OP
OP
O

Oldmopars

Reaction score
Great, thank you. This is the info I needed. I will start looking for one.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the correct one I need for a 2011 Tahoe LS. Can I program modules with this for Tahoe after 2007 or do I need a required adapter. Thanks for any help everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518