Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have an 07, which I believe is a GM900. What is the CANdi used for, and do I need to use it?
Yes, starting in '07 I believe, these trucks use a CANBus system that talks to/connects all the moduals/systems together, kind of like how a network cable connects all the computers together in a network.

The CANdi modual is needed to communicate with this system.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 07, which I believe is a GM900. What is the CANdi used for, and do I need to use it?
the modules in the truck are connected via a highspeed digital serial bus, so essentially 1 wire can control multiple things via modules the digital signal goes from the bcm to a module, the module then in turn sends a pre programmed analog signal to separate devices, some modules are pre-programmed to do different things based on the vehicle trim which is why you have to program some modules when they are replaced so it doesn't do something like send a 12v signal to something that only uses 5v's etc.. the system is kind of dumm in the sense it doesn't auto-detect and can only provide so much feedback on a attached device, it can say yes I am sending a signal but can't confirm there is anything really happening on the other end. that is when you need to break out a ohm meter or visually check some things for operation.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, please lay out the process that you used.
If I remember correctly.

Install and update Windows 7 Pro (I think it needs to be a legit copy to be able to install the The VM and XP mode.)

Download Windows Virtual Machine
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

and XP mode from Microsoft.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

How to install XP mode

Then you need to open XP mode and install the software from within XP. But you can't install TIS 2000 unless you enable the administrator and give it a password.

Open XP mode, right click My Computer and select Manage to open the Computer Management window.
Select Local Users and Groups and then Users.
Right click Administrator from the right side and select Properties. Uncheck "account is disabled" and click apply. Right click Administrator again and select Set Password. Set a password.

https://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/156818-cant-run-programs-administrator-xp-mode.html

(The 2nd post on this page lays this out.)

Now you can install the TIS2000 software. With the software I downloaded there were two links in a read me and they are these two videos.
How to install and update

How to install the dongle

That should be all you need. The administrator thing got me for a while. That was probably the most difficult part to work out as I'm not a PC user. Mine was all installed on an old Mac Pro.

Edit
My USB serial adapter arrived today and so I've screwed around for a while to get it all to work.
Install the adapter driver in Win7.
Go to Win 7 Control Panel >Hardware and Sound / View Devices and Printers. Right click the device in the list and select Properties.
In the popup window click the Hardware Tab and Click Properties again.
In the next popup window click Change Settings.
In the next popup window click on the Port Settings tab and then click Advanced.

In this window you can change the COM port.

Mine installed as COM3 and I had to change it back to COM2 as that's what I chose when I installed the TIS2000 software same as the video.

Now when you open XP Mode click on USB at the top of the window and select the serial adapter to be able to use it in XP.

I did also install the driver in XP Mode while I was trying to get it all worked out but I don't think that was necessary.

My truck has quite a few updates to be installed.

Have fun

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for this information. Very much appreciated.

I believe that I have a much better understanding of the Tech 2 environment that I'll be working in, and what I need to do to move forward.

Thanks again, and I know that my individual knowledge base has been increased. More important, our collective knowledge base has also been increased through all of the contributed knowledge from all of you that has just been formally documented above.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just updated my previous post to include setting up the USB - Serial adapter.

All working now.
IMG_5923.JPG
IMG_5924.JPG

Not sure if it's my imagination but I swear it was idling more quietly when I just pulled in after a 20 min test drive. May have improved power on kickdown, hard to say.

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got mine from Chinacar diags

They did not send the decals because they said DHL would confiscate it. I asked that they send them to me separate. .

Haven't really used it yet other than to verify my oil pressure .

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Just got mine from Chinacar diags

They did not send the decals because they said DHL would confiscate it. I asked that they send them to me separate. .

Haven't really used it yet other than to verify my oil pressure .

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

What are the decals for?