Tahoe Leaf Spring Replacement Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Phone Man

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Movie,

Saw your posts late, sorry. I do have a stock set up except for a pair of torsion keys. The bounce and sway I was feeling were definitely due to the worn springs. Going highway speeds in a turn was just awful. The rear was sagging more on the drivers side believe it or not. It all changed with the new springs and shackles. Whether or not you get the HD type, new springs should help your issue. Like I said though, the HD versions are STIFF! It rides a bit harder than I would have liked. Also it raised the back up about 1 1/2 - 2". She sits with a very slight rake and a lot more space in the rear wells which is just fine.

upload_2016-1-24_16-15-33.jpeg

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Movie,

Saw your posts late, sorry. I do have a stock set up except for a pair of torsion keys. The bounce and sway I was feeling were definitely due to the worn springs. Going highway speeds in a turn was just awful. The rear was sagging more on the drivers side believe it or not. It all changed with the new springs and shackles. Whether or not you get the HD type, new springs should help your issue. Like I said though, the HD versions are STIFF! It rides a bit harder than I would have liked. Also it raised the back up about 1 1/2 - 2". She sits with a very slight rake and a lot more space in the rear wells which is just fine.

View attachment 58702

Ugh, was afraid you might confirm this...Happy you did, but still! The highway comment is exactly what I'm dealing with. And with the looney's on NJ roads, we tend to speed! It's got worse over the last 1-2 years. Higher speed amplify's the problem. Towing my boat though is pretty good (all 5500lbs of it) but also only driving around 55-60 at most. At 20yrs old and 176k on the clock, I can't see this as anything other than a good idea! My plan is to keep her to 300k, so leaf spring replacement looks to be going on the list. Thanks for the reply.

TexasMaq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Install all your bolts and tighten accordingly. The one thing I didn't like about the new shackles is that there was a lot of space between the bushing and the shackle steel. I tightened the bolt enough to close the gap a little without binding.

View attachment 56293

View attachment 56294

leaf_springs.png

The ride overall is a little stiffer. Im thinking its because of the HD springs but the lazy bounce and sway is gone. Also the back raised a good inch at least. I have torsion keys in the front at the minimum and even with them, the back is a little higher. Overall, im happy with them.

Thanks for the great post! Will have to upgrade mine. Speaking of upgrades, hopefully you did those gnashty looking shocks that look like they've had one too many salt baths ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17