Tahoe Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been having a clunk in my Tahoe's suspension for a while now, and I've narrowed it down to 2 things. The CV Axle or wheel bearing. Here's a video of the clunk, and you can see a bit of movement/play in the CV Axle, is this normal or is that causing the clunk? The other thing I would think it'd be is a wheel bearing, nothing else has play. When I wiggle it with the tire on I can feel the clicking and hear it aswell.

Video:

Thanks!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been having a clunk in my Tahoe's suspension for a while now, and I've narrowed it down to 2 things. The CV Axle or wheel bearing. Here's a video of the clunk, and you can see a bit of movement/play in the CV Axle, is this normal or is that causing the clunk? The other thing I would think it'd be is a wheel bearing, nothing else has play. When I wiggle it with the tire on I can feel the clicking and hear it aswell.

Video:

Video:

Thanks!
Have you jacked up that side to get the wheel off the ground to see if there is bearing play when unloaded? Also can check the upper ball joint for movement. Grab a long bar and a block of wood and pry up and down under the wheel to check lower ball joint.

Could be CV, but I would think they are more of a growl or rhythmic noise if bad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. Last time I had a bad CV it sounded like there was gravel rolling around inside it

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you jacked up that side to get the wheel off the ground to see if there is bearing play when unloaded? Also can check the upper ball joint for movement. Grab a long bar and a block of wood and pry up and down under the wheel to check lower ball joint.

Could be CV, but I would think they are more of a growl or rhythmic noise if bad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. Last time I had a bad CV it sounded like there was gravel rolling around inside it
Yeah I did jack it up and wiggled the tire around, that's when I felt the click and clunk, I also put a pry bar underneath the tire and didnt feel any play there. I may try just removing the bearing and seeing the condition of it with it off

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did jack it up and wiggled the tire around, that's when I felt the click and clunk, I also put a pry bar underneath the tire and didnt feel any play there. I may try just removing the bearing and seeing the condition of it with it off
I also just pried on everything like I did in the video and nothing else moved or clicked, no tears in anything

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I'd say you got er figured out. Those are nice and easy to change

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am not convinced it is the cv joint. There should be a minute amount of play in there that could be heard with a pry bar but not in the grease pit when driving. What play do you have when jack up under the lower ball joint and when just a couple inches off the ground, use a pry bar under the tire at 6 o'clock and see what play you have at the ball joints? Do you hear anything when driving at 30-40 mph on a straight road and jockey the steering wheel from 10 to 2?

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not convinced it is the cv joint. There should be a minute amount of play in there that could be heard with a pry bar but not in the grease pit when driving. What play do you have when jack up under the lower ball joint and when just a couple inches off the ground, use a pry bar under the tire at 6 o'clock and see what play you have at the ball joints? Do you hear anything when driving at 30-40 mph on a straight road and jockey the steering wheel from 10 to 2?
I put a prybar under the 6 o'clock position, didnt feel or hear anything, also pryed at everything like in the video and nothing else had play. The only play/clunking noise I had was when I used my hands to wiggle the tire back and forth at the 9 and 3 position. The noise can be heard at all speeds, bumps, no bumps etc. Any condition of driving creates the sound, which leads me to believe its the wheel bearing or the cv axle there.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may just end up removing the wheel bearing to see if wiggling it back and forth by hand renders any play in it, and if not I would guess it's the CV axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korzone