F&R shocks for 2005 Tahoe LS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First off, this Tahoe LS has ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension. What is the difference between the expensive rear shocks for this RPO code and a standard rear shock? She does not tow anything except a very light aluminum trailer and small aluminum boat. When I did my 2005 Z71, I used KYB shocks F-KG54327 and R-KG54341 and I used a new set of rear coils, Moog 81069.

I was wanting to install the same rear coils and just a standard set of KYB shocks on her 2005 Tahoe LS. Can I install a standard set of front and rear shocks in the place of the expensive rear shocks listed at RA? Fronts and rears that are the same extended length and same collapsed length and same mounts, as the ZW7 shocks. Thanks in advance.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride (PSR) OE rear shocks (confirm you have rpo G65) are manual self-leveling shocks that use Nivomat technology. The are paired with softer OE springs. You can definitely convert from the self-leveling shocks if you replace the springs along with it. I would think you could use any OE spring like a Z71 or standard suspension coil, if you prefer a somewhat stiffer ride or just want to change to a more standard configuration. I'm not sure how much difference you'd feel; if you do make the change, it would be interesting to have your perspective.

I can't tell you about the fronts, but I wouldn't think standard shocks would feel all that different. But I don't think the KYB shocks for the Premium Smooth Ride are any more expensive than what would be on a standard suspension. Hard to say what the difference is, but I doubt KYB would offer PSR shocks if the standard ones would be the same. The PSR shocks probably dampen a bit softer, would be my guess.

Sometimes we see people here looking for Nivomats to replace theirs, so if you make the change and yours still work properly, you might be able to help out a fellow member.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride (PSR) OE rear shocks (confirm you have rpo G65) are manual self-leveling shocks that use Nivomat technology. The are paired with softer OE springs. You can definitely convert from the self-leveling shocks if you replace the springs along with it. I would think you could use any OE spring like a Z71 or standard suspension coil, if you prefer a somewhat stiffer ride or just want to change to a more standard configuration. I'm not sure how much difference you'd feel; if you do make the change, it would be interesting to have your perspective.

I can't tell you about the fronts, but I wouldn't think standard shocks would feel all that different. But I don't think the KYB shocks for the Premium Smooth Ride are any more expensive than what would be on a standard suspension. Hard to say what the difference is, but I doubt KYB would offer PSR shocks if the standard ones would be the same. The PSR shocks probably dampen a bit softer, would be my guess.

Sometimes we see people here looking for Nivomats to replace theirs, so if you make the change and yours still work properly, you might be able to help out a fellow member.
Thanks for the info, @Fless. I put Z71 springs on mine because.....it's a Z71. I will look for the standard suspension rear coils for her or leave it for the 81069 Z71 springs if she wants. The RPO tag does say G65, by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar