Swapping Gen 2 dash to Gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re swapping out the dash top, I’d say the Denali dash top isn’t any better than a regular Tahoe. It’s the same plastic material and feels exactly like a Tahoe dash. The Escalade dash top is a tad bit better but it’s not like a crazy difference. And to be honest the only GMT900 dash top I’d consider to be a really nice dash, would be the Escalade part as it’s leather bound and not usually prone to the cracking issues that plagued the other GMT900 models plastic dash tops.

Last edited:

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your problem with it the function or form?

I've recently seen a pic where it was done in Silverado, NNBS dash and cluster in a NBS. I do remember it looked butchered. These days, I can't honestly tell you it was a real pic or how they did it, or if it even worked. I'll try to remember this if I do and link it. (might have been a facebook group).

I'm still not set on my interior either. It does look horrible. My plan was to most likely cover the plastics in a fabric.

The pillars and not sure what else, that have that bumpy texture to em; that stuff rubs right off. The coating is like a lightweight spray in bed liner. You can rub back with your thumb and it will start to peel or take if off with rubbing alcohol. The plastics are smooth underneath that coating. If you pull any of the pillar panels off, or the center console, and look underneath, that is what the outside will be if you remove the coating. if you have any paint skills, it would be pretty easy to paint em nice, if you put in a little time.

I haven't taken off my dash yet, but I need to. Supposedly it's the mounting clips that break and cause the rattle. I want to try to find a way to remove those.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just need to figure out how to fix up the interior.

This is my current mission. Dashskin really made a huge difference. I also repainted all the trim and used vinyl paint to black out the rest of the dash. it’s a work in progress. As far as tightening up all the connectors, I did some searching on here and found that getting some small adhesive felt strips and wrapping all the connectors with them really tightens things up and reduces the rattling. JB Plastic Weld works pretty good for fixing broken ones too. I’ll be posting updates periodically as I make progress on mine so I’ll be watching yours too.

My next project will be swapping to a 05-09 Envoy Denali steering wheel with the nicer Denali center logo.

IMG_2707.jpeg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my current mission. Dashskin really made a huge difference. I also repainted all the trim and used vinyl paint to black out the rest of the dash. it’s a work in progress. As far as tightening up all the connectors, I did some searching on here and found that getting some small adhesive felt strips and wrapping all the connectors with them really tightens things up and reduces the rattling. JB Plastic Weld works pretty good for fixing broken ones too. I’ll be posting updates periodically as I make progress on mine so I’ll be watching yours too.

My next project will be swapping to a 05-09 Envoy Denali steering wheel with the nicer Denali center logo.

View attachment 411639
I have the envoy denali center airbag cover in my Yukon Denali. I love having the Denali logo at my steering wheel. Mine popped up on eBay for a decent price so I grabbed it quick. I see them on there quite often. I also scored an envoy Denali wheel out of a junkyard envoy, it’s the same wheel the platinum edition Escalade uses. It’s gonna look nice in the truck when I get it resurfaced.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Matthew Jeschke
For rattles on certain things, metal to metal plastic to metal etc etc I like to take self adhesive velcro, just the soft side and stick to one side or another and it tightens connectors and quiets many noises.
I get it free from work and now i have 19,000ft of the hard side of velcro laying around but hey… no rattles. Ideas man, ideas…..
Good luck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the envoy denali center airbag cover in my Yukon Denali. I love having the Denali logo at my steering wheel. Mine popped up on eBay for a decent price so I grabbed it quick. I see them on there quite often. I also scored an envoy Denali wheel out of a junkyard envoy, it’s the same wheel the platinum edition Escalade uses. It’s gonna look nice in the truck when I get it resurfaced.

I saw that in your build thread. Did you have any issue with the airbag connections? It seems that a couple people have reported that some envoy airbags having different connectors. I figured if that's the case then I can just swap out the outer cover and use any ole 03+ black steering wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo