Stuck dipstick. Any tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wouldn’t have been a big deal if it fell into the oil pan but would probably drive you nuts like it did when that happened to me. Theres no way for it to go through the screen on the end of the pickup tube even if it was to get past the windage tray which it probably wouldn’t. Mine was like that for a week until it drove me crazy and I dropped the pan. I found it on top of the windage tray.

Yeah I was planning to drop the pan anyway to plug the relief valve when I do my DOD delete, but then I read that it's kind of pointless. Especially since it's not a high rpm motor, so that would have sucked if I had to do that job.

Glad I did the headers first though, will make DOD delete a lot easier.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do know that when I installed my headers on my 02 NBS 6.0 I had to install the dipstick tube at the same time because it needs to kinda go through them and there’s no way to install the tube with the headers all the way tight to the engine and no way to install the headers with the tube installed. Not sure if the NNBS is the same.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to put my broken dipstick back in no problem with headers already in. It just slips in. It's there temporarily until the new on arrives.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to put my broken dipstick back in no problem with headers already in. It just slips in. It's there temporarily until the new on arrives.

My brother's broke in the same spot, leaving about 3/8" past the formed ring in the tube. I removed the broken off piece and pushed the tube back in place. The bracket that bolts it to the head will hold it just fine. As expected, it had a very light leak, but it was ok until the replacement tube was delivered.

Kazap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doing headers. You figured getting the rusted bolts off is the worst part. Thought I was smooth sailing until I had to remove dipstick. I got it to twist free and it came out the hole a good 1/4 inch but I cannot get it to come out all the way. Soaked with kroil and still wont go. Im afraid its gonna break. Actually getting close to just cutting it so I can get the truck up and running again. What a dumb thing to get hung up on

Anyone have a method? It looks like if I remove the starter, I can get a prybar on it but trying to avoid tha .
Hello my friend see picture
Good luck
Kazap

3F35E3C2-64F8-47A7-A798-DC9D71EDADB2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn