Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
See if you have a place near you like this:
Dallas Makerspace

Then get it up on a lift to check it out.

Alternately, you could be an ass like me: I took our Suburban to Firestone under the assumption I still had the factory spare; the factor spare from 2004, and it was now 2019... I bought 5 tires from them, and asked them to change the spare out for one of the new tires... Worst case scenario THEY break it. For me, they got it down, swapped out, and my spare carrier still works...
I ended up jacking up the spare tire like it says in the owners manual to release the secondary latch, except i just held up the tire and not the latch and let it hang. Then I used a flathead to pry the latch off myself and dropped the jack until the tire came loose and fell to the ground. All in all took about 10 minutes and was super simple. I thought about replacing the whole hoist system, but decided to just stick a flathead with the spare tire removal kit and call it a day. Thanks for your help everyone!

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone just remove the spare and leave it off???...it sounds like so many of us have this issue partially because they've never had to use the spare or is the spare part of the "rear end crash system" where it provides some protection for occupants in a rear end crash?

Bill

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't live in the rust belt but we do have corrosive de-icers applied to roads in the wintertime. I exercise my spare at least once a year by dropping it -- usually when I rotate tires -- and lubing the mechanism as needed. Use it or lose it, is my thinking.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone just remove the spare and leave it off???...it sounds like so many of us have this issue partially because they've never had to use the spare or is the spare part of the "rear end crash system" where it provides some protection for occupants in a rear end crash?

Bill
I don't carry a spare, as I had to remove it to install my Gibson Extreme cat back dual exhaust system. Instead, I carry this with me for a potential flat tire.

Tire Repair Kit.jpg

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't live in the rust belt but we do have corrosive de-icers applied to roads in the wintertime. I exercise my spare at least once a year by dropping it -- usually when I rotate tires -- and lubing the mechanism as needed. Use it or lose it, is my thinking.
Do you only rotate your tires once per year? This is one of the few pieces of information I did not learn from my dad...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar