Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone just remove the spare and leave it off???...it sounds like so many of us have this issue partially because they've never had to use the spare or is the spare part of the "rear end crash system" where it provides some protection for occupants in a rear end crash?

Bill
I just cut the secondary lock off and cranked the tire back up into place. Both the Tahoe and Silverado.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I blew a tire and struggled for a long time trying to get the second lock mechanism to release while parked at a gas station. I finally found a video with very little views on it where a guy was able to get the tire down as far as he could until the second mechanism stopped it from going any further. He was then able to shove a screwdriver in one of the holes on the side of the locking mechanism and was able to release the lock. I tried the same and it took a while to find the right angle with the screwdriver, but it released no problem when I found it. I always make sure to carry a screwdriver with me now. I think I also had it hosed down with WD40 pretty good too.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take off license plate and use a long bar to smack the rusted latch. Get a flash light so you can see . It's that damn simple.
Interesting the brother. I never thought of removing the license plate......I will keep this nugget for sure. Thanks!

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone just remove the spare and leave it off???...it sounds like so many of us have this issue partially because they've never had to use the spare or is the spare part of the "rear end crash system" where it provides some protection for occupants in a rear end crash?

Bill
Mine has been off for months until I fabricate new mounting tabs for the rear cross over brake line. There were no oems (that fit) to be found and I got tired of throwing money at parts that just got tossed.
I've had cars with no factory spare so I'm not spooked by it.
I need to get it up on the to do list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts