Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My vehicle is a 2005 Yukon XL SLT. I went to remove my spare tire as the rim is beyond rusted and the tire doesn’t hold air anymore. The cable comes down ok, but the spare stays up. I read in the owners manual about a second latch mechanism, and I tried to follow it but it seemingly made no change. The wheel can be moved freely, so it didn’t rust to the vehicle itself or anything. It also appears to be the factory spare based on how severe the rust is to the wheel. Anyone ever had a similar issue and any idea on how to fix it and get this spare down? I have a long trip this weekend and was trying to put on the replacement spare I got.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the second safety latch is most likely rusted solid and will never come free. Support the tire, get a grinder and cust the cable/spring off to drop the ride. Throw out the rusted spare and buy a new one. Also buy a new tire support and lube the shit out of it before reinstalling the next tire and wheel.

OP
OP
H

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, the second safety latch is most likely rusted solid and will never come free. Support the tire, get a grinder and cust the cable/spring off to drop the ride. Throw out the rusted spare and buy a new one. Also buy a new tire support and lube the shit out of it before reinstalling the next tire and wheel.
The tire doesn’t even drop low enough to access any portion of the cable that’s supporting the wheel. Any other ideas? I was going to try to see if i could manage to squeeze a can of WD40 in there to maybe lube things up just enough.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut the end off that holds the cup and spring. The wheel will drop down. Then take down the junk mount with a 13mm socket and throw it in the garbage

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out @Tonyrodz post here too:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My vehicle is a 2005 Yukon XL SLT. I went to remove my spare tire as the rim is beyond rusted and the tire doesn’t hold air anymore. The cable comes down ok, but the spare stays up. I read in the owners manual about a second latch mechanism, and I tried to follow it but it seemingly made no change. The wheel can be moved freely, so it didn’t rust to the vehicle itself or anything. It also appears to be the factory spare based on how severe the rust is to the wheel. Anyone ever had a similar issue and any idea on how to fix it and get this spare down? I have a long trip this weekend and was trying to put on the replacement spare I got.
Super common issue. You must live in the rust belt.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you have a place near you like this:
Dallas Makerspace

Then get it up on a lift to check it out.

Alternately, you could be an ass like me: I took our Suburban to Firestone under the assumption I still had the factory spare; the factor spare from 2004, and it was now 2019... I bought 5 tires from them, and asked them to change the spare out for one of the new tires... Worst case scenario THEY break it. For me, they got it down, swapped out, and my spare carrier still works...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts