Strange noise behind dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
inhave this noise that sounds like something pumping or maybe like a liquid sloshing around behind my dash. I took a video and here it is. Can't hear anything but motor running under the hood and inside if you listen real close you can hear this. Any ideas?

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that If you have to listen THAT closely and everything seems to be working ok (instrumentation-wise)...then it isnt a problem. However my best guess is that it could be gauge cluster stepper motor noise. The only way to verify that is to remove the cluster and run it again. Is this something you just started noticing yourself or are you 100% sure it never made this noise before? Reason I ask is because my cluster makes noise sort of like that and it had all new steppers installed a few years ago. It's never been a problem for me. Just remove the cluster and that will narrow it down quite a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliJJ

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
Yea I just started noticing it. I believe it's either a stepper or the dual climate actuators

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that same sound. It happens within a minute or two of startup last for maybe 30 seconds and then stops. Because it only happens soon after startup, I think it's the HVAC actuators

OP
OP
DenaliJJ

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
Mine doesn't really seem to go away now but I read somewhere that you reset them by removing fuse and clearing out the program it has stored in it. I'll try Monday

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't really seem to go away now but I read somewhere that you reset them by removing fuse and clearing out the program it has stored in it. I'll try Monday

The procedure is roughly this:

With the engine off and key out pull HVAC A and B fuses for 1 minute. Reinstall fuses and then do a "key ON-engine off" and don't touch anything on the climate controls for a minute. The HVAC actuators are now in the process of calibrating.

After that minute has passed turn the key off. Now start the engine and verify operation.

It's not a real big deal but try to narrow it down to a specific actuator if you can. It might be on the way out and fail during calibration. You don't want to be stuck without heat or cold if possible.

Last edited:

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that noise. It was the plastic heater hose connectors on the crash wall. I screwed one up replacing that hard to reach spark plug. Cheap easy repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesertGator

Latest posts