Still leaks after 3 "fixes"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K8Lade

Reaction score
Check the oil pressure sensor and valley cover gasket.

Curious how much your rear main replacement cost. I have replaced nearly every other seal and still leaking oil on my 2008 Escalade.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score

solosys

O-ring on right side of the cooler block (2nd pix of your posting)

See the followings:

Attachments

• Plug_3.jpg
    Plug_3.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Plug_O_Ring.jpg
    Plug_O_Ring.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 15

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few things as frustrating as chasing leaks. In fairness, it's likely that you had leaks from the two that they fixed, or soon would have, in addition to another that's causing what you're seeing now. Based on the pictures, there are three likely culprits: 1/ The o-ring that @jz57 mentioned, 2/ The valley cover gasket, and 3/ the valve cover gaskets. Given that the pictures show oil drips on both sides of the engine (oil filter side and starter side), I'm inclined to think it's the valve covers. That said, they're also the easiest to replace in your driveway, if you so choose. The valley cover requires removing the intake manifold which is also well within the capabilities of a DIY'er but you may wish to farm out as well. If they get in that far, have them replace the oil pressure sender and screen at the same time.

txbandit44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got this same issue going on. Bought the truck new years day 145k on it. looked under the truck before the test drive not a drop of oil. Didn't check after the test drive (rookie mistake). Got it home and saw I had a leak 3 days later. Took it back to the dealer they "fixed" it. Replaced the oil cooler line gasket. Still leaking don't plan on taking it back, got a funny feeling they let Cletus on the Express lube line fix it as I over heard some "techs" bitching about how they are over worked and cant keep up.

Took it to the local lube shop and they let me get under it in the pit. Cleaned it all up and ran an inspection cam up around the top for the bell housing no leaks up high. Pulled the inspection cover and the flex plate is dry. I can see the RMS and it looks good. Mine looks just like yours less the oil on the filter.

Im going to check that O ring jz57 mentioned. Post up what the dealer says.

txbandit44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These repairs are under warranty nationwide, at any GM dealer if memory serves. If yours were mine I would keep going up with a flashlight. Would also replace the oil filter on the off-chance that the gasket is leaking under pressure and making that mess.
@swathdiver,
Do you mean this oil leak is like a recall or something? Wouldn't think my 2012 with 145k on it would have any warranty from GM

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver,
Do you mean this oil leak is like a recall or something? Wouldn't think my 2012 with 145k on it would have any warranty from GM
No, I mean that since the work was done at a GM dealership, you can take it anywhere for problems to be addressed within the time limit on your paperwork. If the dealer that did the work is not helpful, take it to another one.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am beyond frustrated. Back in Aug 2021 my 2012 Yukon XL started leaking oil. Brought it in for service and they fixed the leak, saying it was Oil Cooler Gasket. Brought it home the next day and noticed oil in the same location. Brought it back and they said it wasn't tight enough. A few months later I'm denial again but more oil started appearing to be leaking from the same spot. Brought it in and they said it was the Rear main seal. Got that fixed, as many of you know wasn't cheap. Well, as of today been noticing yet again leaking from the same similar area as the first time I brought it in back in August.This is now BS. I'm at the point where I'm going to dispute my last charge. Has anyone had this type of leaked fixed properly. I refuse to bring it in and get charged any additional money.View attachment 363228View attachment 363229
it's most likely the vlom leak MANUFACTURE DEFECT(workmanship)

they failed to tighten the bolts correctly

stick your head in the engine bay and look under the intake manifold see if it's wet

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver,
I think the EPA needs to force the manufactures to come up with something that never leaks THIS is a huge pollution issue with leaking oil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum